TIME to break in a Denon 103R

Can anyone offer their experience on how many hours it takes to fully break in a Denon 103R cartridge ?
Thanks,
Larry
cello

Showing 6 responses by dan_ed

Wow,Larry! Slumming or just having fun with the 103R? :)

I seem to remember it taking 50+ hours. It sounds very steely for a while.

Which arm are you using it on?
I really like the 103R, even though mine developed some kind of issue where it will issue a pop from the left channel, maybe twice per LP side. What do you want from a $240 cartridge? I've thought about replacing it, but I'd probably go with the lower priced ZYX based on what I've heard.

"cognoscenti" ? Does that mean a**hole? Now, that I can identify with! :)

Best,

Dan
This theory has been thrashed about on AA and totally debunked. There are perhaps hundreds of users of the 103R, many of them very knowledgeable vinyl-philes, and I've never heard of any reports of vinyl damage due to its use.
Larry, I though the idea was to shorten my moniker? :)

p=f/s, yep. So a surface area of 1.6 u will actually result in a lower pressure. But that is not the real story which is not necessarily total surface are but rather where the contact surface area is in the groove. I agree that there is a big difference in sound between riding higher in the groove vs. getting down deeper to the surfaces at the bottom of the groove walls. That is a completely different issue to claims of vinyl damage.
Hey Johnnantais, there's something I mostly agree with you on. And also what Patrickamory is saying. I've had the venerable V15VxMR and a Benz Glider against the 103R. Both of these MC's track as well as the Shure. The combination of 103R/Vector was easily my choice over the Glider on a Graham 2.2. Now maybe it wasn't the absolute best with micro-dynamics, buth the 103R on a Vector was very musical but also had much better detail, quite surprising detail and bass. I can understand why Thom Mackris used a 103R for so long when traveling around. I think this also is in parallel with what Physicanimal is saying regarding trackability. The arm really does have a great impact on how this cartridge performs. (Well, duh, Dan.) I've gone back to an RB 300 recently as a temp solution until new toys arrive, but I can readily see where the Rega is lacking after having some much better arms to listen with. Still, one could do alot worse.

Back on the subject of surface area and the conical shape. I seem to recall some pictures posted somewhere on this subject, and I do see this under magnification. If you look at the 103R stylus head-on it does have a conical shape. If you look at the stylus from the side, it more resembles a ax head. Like if you take a cone and stretch it along one axis that is parallel to the groove. This shape results in ample surface contact area even though it is not very deep in the groove. From what I understand about the development of this cartridge, it makes sense. Much like Psychicanimal has posted, many others have confirmed that the 103R does seem to play LP's that are not in the best of condition better than some other cartridges. I think it does pretty good on LP's that are in great condition as well.