Throughly disappointed with my new Yamaha A-3000 Integrated.......

well, I love it when it's not shutting down.  Finally called the dealer and told them I'm done with it.  From the first day, it shut off and went into protection mode after 10 minutes of listening.  It's doing it all the time now.  I did figure out how to reset the amp, but it continues to go into protection mode.  Here's what I've done to track the issue down.  Am I missing anything?  By the way, I'm a user, not someone who can track down voltages, test wires etc etc.

1. Pulled power cord for 30 minutes- I use a PS audio PC
2. Unplugged all connections- amp stayed in protection mode with nothing plugged in.
3. I then figured out how to reset the amp.  The amp then worked for for some periods before shutting off.  Yesterday for example, playing vinyl, amp shut off after 5 minutes.  I then did the reset and listened for 2 hours without shutting down. 
4. Today, after 5 minutes it shut down again.
5. Doesn't matter if it's vinyl or CD playing.
6. I just unplugged my Sub now as the rca cables are a bit bent up; however it didn't affect play for 2 hours yesterday without shutting off.

Disappointed as I was looking forward to breaking this in over Christmas break........  
128x128dhpeck

Showing 7 responses by arch2

Sorry to hear about your experience with the AS3000.  I have owned this integrated for the last few years and love it but I haven't had the issue you mention (knock on wood).  Good luck with the repair/replacement.  It's a wonderful sounding integrated.
honeybee2012, I would error on the side of caution and NOT hook an active sub to the terminals of the speaker if that speaker is connected to the AS3000.  From the Yamaha AS3000 Manual:

CAUTION

Because the power amplifier of A-S3000 is of the floating balanced type, the following types of connections are not possible.

Connecting with the left channel “–” terminal and the right channel “–” terminal as well as “+” terminals (Fig. 1).

Connecting with the left channel “–” terminal and the right channel “–” terminal inverted (cross connection, Fig. 2).

Deliberately connecting with the left/right channel “–” terminals and metal part on the rear panel of this unit, as well as accidentally touching them.

Do not connect your active subwoofer to the SPEAKERS L/R CH terminal. Connect it to the PRE OUT jacks of this unit.

Do not connect a component with no volume control, such as a CD player, to the MAIN IN jacks, as the volume level of the signals input to the MAIN IN jacks is fixed. If such equipment is connected, a sound may burst, and the unit and/or speaker may be damaged.

dhpeck - If you don't mind let us know how your replacement as3000 works out for you.  Happy New Years
almarg - Your comment really got me thinking about subwoofers connected to the as3000. I knew not to connect a sub via speaker level inputs simply because of what was stated in the owners manual, but I have been considering upgrading to Martin Logan Montis speakers which have an active woofer in each speaker.  I'm not 100% sure that will work after thinking through all of this. And I won't even pretend to understand much about electrical engineering.  I emailed Yamaha but haven't heard back.  Emailed Martin Logan and they suggested the connection will be fine with the as3000.
@almarg 
Thanks for following up Al.  I will contact Martin Logan next week.  From reviewing the owner's manual on line it appears the Montis includes a 3 prong IEC connector.  Thanks again and happy New Year.
Don
Dave,
The top plate of my AS300 will be warm but never really beyond that. All the speakers I have used with it have been fairly easy loads in the 6 to 8 ohm range and 88 to 91 db efficient.
Don