Thoughts on moving from a 1200G to Sota Saphire or above

Two different animals, I know. I’ve read some pretty decent reviews on the Sota’s with the vacuum option and intrigued. We’re always looking for that little extra something, something. I’m interested in retrieving a bit more detail and upping the sound stage. 
Maybe this would be a lateral move? Maybe I should change my cart? Something else? Be happy and spin vinyl? Thanks for your feedback. 
Gear:
Technics 1200G
Ortofon Cadenza Black
Herron VTPH-2A phono preamp
Audible Illusions L2 Line Stage
Levinson 532-H
B&W 803 D2 speakers
AQ McKenzie interconnects for phono

Ag insider logo xs@2xbfoura

Showing 1 response by steelhead

I have a SOTA Cosmos with vac hold down done up to VI specs with the mag platter, roadrunner and condor.  I also have a JVC QLY5F with an Ort Bronze.  I use a Ort Kontrapunkt B with bob's devices on the SOTA.

As you would expect the SOTA clearly has more definition and comes from a pitch black background.  Your components are first class you should be able to easily hear the differences.

The JVC is extremely good and has been trouble free since upgraded caps done by a cool cat Ed in the West who borrowed it.  It is a fine spinner and if I had to I could easily live with it as my only player.  Not as refined as the SOTA, not as deep a background but easily lets out detail and you can deduce bad and good pressings with no problem.

The Technics is a fine spinner but depending on your tastes and inclination I believe the SOTA would be all that in your system.

Good luck and happy spinning.