Thoughts on adding a McIntosh C12000 preamp to my AVM90 Home Theater Processor....

I currently use an Anthem AVM90 processor for my 2 channel music as well as my 5.1 Home Theater.  I know some people use a premium 2 channel preamps such as the beautiful McIntosh C1200 for 2 channel audio.  To be honest I'm very happy with the improvement in audio quality when I upgraded my home theater processor from an AVM60 to the AVM90, but I'm considering the C12000 route for music.  

Anyone have experience or thoughts on this - or is it just adding cost/complexity for minimal if any benefit?

Any advice appreciated!

128x128whitesarhara

Showing 4 responses by uberk

I am thinking of doing the same - but got some interesting different advice from the McI dealer. I have a MX123 which I love. Running SF Amati G5 fronts, Nova II surround, Nova 1 back, Gravis VI sub, CII for center. Amatis are on two bi-amp MC451 monoblocks. Use Hifi Rose 150b for dac.

What I am looking for is the best configuration in this scenario for 1) 2 channel (when stereo only) .. 2) ability to run surround to all at times and 3) theatre capability for Bluray - or Apple TV (spatial - Dolby Atmos music is great).

What I cannot get is a clear answer on how - if I buy a 12000 - would it be best to set it up?

Digital out from the HR150B to the MX123 with XLR to the C12000, XLR to the C12000 from the HR150b. Set up 2 listening modes (As I assume bypass basically eliminates the processor in the C12000).

Seems complicated .. where the C12000 manual offers one config - bypass.

Advice appreciated.

@whitesarhara  thank you … and sorry for trying to validate the logic here - think I finally get it. This is very helpful :) as I just got the 451s and the Amatis and … the MX123 doesn’t do them justice

If I read what you are saying correctly, it basically means:

- HR150b into the C12000 via XLR. Exclusive for stereo

- Pass through from MX123 when operating theater system

-  If I also want to have the option of using the HF150b in “all speakers” stereo I would need a 2nd connection into the MX123 (digital from HRose)?and would be operating the c12000 in pass through mode. 

Which now makes sense …. Thanks for confirming this logic 

(and will lead to one more question)

@whitesarhara  ha. Fair enough. 

On the C12000, in the home audio config, does it add any value to the sound? 

@whitesarhara .. ha … the forums are so filled with haters and their sine waves (smile) .. so I hear you. After all, confirmation bias still means we gain something from the experience right?

Thanks for the info and sharing. Appreciate it. A C12000 it is to round out the system.

My only last dive will be power. I have a “hum” in my mid on the Amatis with the monoblocks which is driving me mad. Have tried high end Audience Front Row, iFi and a range of other power cables .. bought a Niagara 5000 with their high end cable .. tried direct into the wall and on and on .. and still there.

Just came across this “mad” dialogue on lithium batteries .. where he reviewed a $20K Stromtank vs a “get it at Amazon” Goal One Yeti …. And the reviews are mad.

How this discussion is not everywhere is perplexing.

https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0119/Goal_Zero_Yeti_400_Lithium_Portable_Power_Station_Review.htm