Those magical days when the HVAC is off

I'm reminded these last few days when after 90 days straight with the AC running, the weather broke and the temps dropped, and with no AC running (or likewise in winter when no heat is cranking) my rig sounds easily 20% better - like I had added a new component- more clarity, overtones/timbre, sparkle - the standard sonic improvement adjectives - so how does one accomplish this year 'round? Which power related component is the one that allows your audio rig to operate unimpeded by air conditioning, the furnace, an overloaded electrical grid? I have separate dedicated lines to my components, but my rig really flows in a magical way when these climate conditioning appliances are not running. Is it power conditioning, or power regeneration that could possibly allow me to enjoy this increased audio performance more frequently or permanently? Any personal experiences of successfully solving this dilemma would be welcomed. Cheers, and thank you in advance.

ostemo8

Late night is great 'round here. '20's background until MOMA flies over...but somebody's getting saved potentially....  my ambient is low otherwise..

Night temps are drifting down into the '60's. so the AC can get shut down...

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I’ve had this exact experience and my sister pretty much always sounded better after 8 o’clock at night.

I do use conditioner and that helps some.  Pretty good success with running my stereo off a large battery.  It’s worth experimenting with both of these Options.

I would say the most dramatic results that I’ve heard are with a DC blocker.  DC current alter the sound by adding noise and distortion typically caused by HVAC solar panels and so on and I think it’s going to continue to be a bigger problem with being noisy and dirty and electronic devices as those devices proliferate throughout our homes and neighborhoods.

but not all DC blockers are created equal.  There’s a synchro Uni that I’ve settled on for a price that I can live with and it works wonders.  There are also cheap blockers which claim to do the same thing, but do not.

As always trust your ears.

I may Ido a YouTube video on this. It’s a good topic. It’s worth it.

- American audiophile 

A couple months ago,,,,,plugged vacuum into kitchen wall outlet.  Dead outlet with no warning.  2 plugs on that wall both show dead.  Original 30 year old contractor grade,, so I replace with commercial grade.  Still dead.  One plug is end of circuit and the other feeds that one, and is fed (shows hot), and a second line out that goes ?   Isolating with breakers shows those plugs are part of adjoining bedroom circuit which tests out fine.  From the basement view it appeared kitchen fed bedroom.  After a week of mulling this over, I called a commercial electrician friend to look at it.  Didn’t make sense to him either.  He looked at the breaker box which looked superficially looked fine.  While gently probing neutral bar with a wooden dowel we saw very fine arcing around connections.  He recommended residential electrician…soon.   Hang in there, this story goes somewhere.   All bedroom plugs tested fine, but gotta start somewhere.  I removed the cover off of plug that appeared to be connected to kitchen.  Ok ,, bedroom feeds kitchen.  Neutral wire from kitchen still attached, but scorched, insulation gone, with the metal on the plug scorched.  That plug still functioning and tested good.  Replace that plug and incoming neutral wire.  That was that.  But,, that arcing neutral bar in breaker box.  Yup, very fine static like arcing still there.  I threw the main breaker and began to retighten all the screws on the neutral bar.  Many needed 1/4 to 1/2 turn to snug down.  No more arcing.  Nice.   So finally here’s the payoff.  The next day I resume my daily music ritual.  The improvement in audio was amazing.  Bigger cleaner wider, and especially airy.  Like upgraded equipment.  Weeks later, it’s still there. The wiring is the only thing in the house that changed.  

After reading through the comments here, I have some work to do.  My no HVAC baseline noise level, C weighted, is ~ 40 db!  I can't avoid the white noise of HVAC on, as there is are two ducts and one return in the room, plus the system is in an adjacent room.  Like many of you, I just try to avoid listening when it's running.  But getting another 10 db of quiet would be nice......

My problem is with the darn fridge running, seems noisier than most. I could turn it off, but then the beer would get cold.