Thorens

Any thoughts about Thorens TD 160 as far as upgrades and refurbishments to this unit. I was just given this turntable and everything is original and it works & seems to sound decent I compared it too my music hall mmf 5.1 . The sound quality wasn't much different between the two turntables except the music hall was a bit brighter aside from that, I'm using a Emotive XPS-1 preamp for both turntable tryouts. The cartridge on the Thorens is audio technica AT13Ea and the Music Hall has the Magic 3 that came with the unit which is made by Ortofon.
128x128zoobull
I have been going back and forth as to keeping it original or moving ahead with some modifications similar to what you have mentioned raymonda. I think I would like to first make sure the original components are functioning proper and go from there. The dust cover is looking like a replacement item along with the signal cables those are easy enough items to take care of. I have noticed that people have done work on new base footings to the plinth and new spring replacements for the chassis. A lot of people I notice replace the tone arm with Rega or SME tone arms also Plinths are big replacement item. I should probably keep it simple at first and continue my listening experience with both my Music Hall and the Thorens TD 160 and make moves one item at a time. Thank You Raymonda for the ideas I'm looking forward to using this unit.
If you go with a Rega arm instead of a 3009,you'll have more options with cartridges.

That is something I didn't weigh in on yet and it is nice to have options especially if you have preferences when it comes to cartridges or want to examine different cartridges. A friend of mine who got me back into vinyl has been shooting me recommendations He mentioned Jelco Sa-750D tone arm .
The jelco is a great arm and will work wonderfully. It will also have a bit of a retro look to it, too.

I had the good fortune of purchasing a TD-160 mkII with Mk III TP-63 Isotrack tonearm and Stanton 881S moving magnet cartridge for a mere $50 in a pawn shop. I didn't expect it to be perfect, aside from needing a belt, which I swapped from an old Yamaha, it was perfect and I still use over twenty years now. It looks to be a similar design to the all time favorite Linn LP12 (at $4,995). I've considered and auditioned VPI and Technics, but can't discern any improvement that would justify spending a couple of thousand, when I find this table sounds great and very easy to operate. Aside from a recent find of a Pioneer PL-630 direct drive automatic turntable (my next project), I can't foresee any reason to make any change.