Thorens 125 MkII: MM or MC cartridge? What's diff?

I purchased a used Thorens 125 MkII. I'm pretty sure the cartridge is a Shure V15VMR. I'm pretty inexperienced with turntables, so I'd like to know whether the cartridge is MM or MC, since the Denon 3802 A/V reciever I'll probably buy will only accept MM. Since I'm so inexperienced, I don't know the difference between MM and MC, let alone what they stand for. Also, is the Thorens only compatable with one of these cartridges, regardless of whether it's a Shure?
Thanks,
Steve
sfd101

Showing 3 responses by ivanj

The cartridge you have is the best of the shure V15 series. Don't replace it - but if necessary get a new stylus assembly - make shure it is for that particular series of cartridge. email me for more info if you like....bravo a Sdcampbell..
Actually the TP16 arm on a 125 mkII is a great arm. The SME is a good arm also - there is more panache to the SME (probably a type 3) but many prefer the stock arm.
Mobil One (or an equivalent synthetic) is a great bearing Oil. One of the lighter viscosities is the ticket. It's also good in your car engine....