Thorens 124/125/126 vs Rega P3/MMF-5

It looks like 40~30 years old Thorens 124/125/126 models are still very popular. How are they compared to today's most popular models at under $1000, like P3 and MMF-5?
128x128ihcho

Showing 3 responses by cmo

Ihcho,

Yes that is one of the threads.... the original is 3000 posts long (or something similarly crazy). Not all Thorens 'tables are idler drives. I am not real up on all of their models (maybe someone else can chime in), but I know the 124 is an idler. Prices for these, along with Garrard 301/401, and Lenco's have pretty much gone through the roof. However, if you do your homework you can still build a phenomenal rig that rivals those costing thousands more. I had a VPI Aries.... Now I have a Garrard 301. That should tell you which I prefer.

Chris
Paul,

If you don't dig the idlers that's cool. However, I think you are making some blanket statements about "antique turntables" and being rather condecending to some of the people who own them.

FWIW, I once owned a VPI HW19 Mk3. I liked that table very much. It was reliable, built well, and performed well for the money. I had a chance to get a VPI Aries w/JMW tonearm. I liked that table as well. Again it was reliable, built well and guess what? It sounded A LOT better than the HW19....

About six months ago I had the urge to try a Garrard 301 (antique idler drive table). I figured it would be a nice project and worst case scenario I could use it for a mono deck. Long story short... I put it on a Birch ply plinth and swapped my JMW tonearm over and let it rip.... Then my jaw hit the floor, my friends who visited jaws hit the floor.... It really wasn't much of a contest. I sold the VPI Aries and the guy who bought it is very happy.

BTW Did you perhaps buy my old HW19??? Maybe you should try an Aries ;-)

LOL
Chris