Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

I spent the last day wading through this entire thread. Happy to say I'm a new first time Thiel owner. I found a pair of cs2.3 for $450 and after a bit of research snatched them up. One tweeter was dented with a small puncture but I was able to pop it out and "patch" the hole with a very small very thin piece of nylon film until I can foot a rebuild. 

Unfortunately the serial numbers are extremely faded. I can't make out much at all but they appear to start with a 1. This doesn't really jive with the rest of the serial numbers I'm seeing online which appear to all range in the 4000's. Rob with Coherent Source told me the coax drivers were mainly manufactured in '99 and '00 but I popped one out and mine has a manufacture date of October '98. I likely have one of the earliest it seems. 

Does anyone have any info on what the serial number range might have been for the cs2.3's? I assumed they started at 4000 based on what I've seen but perhaps I'm wrong. 

Anyways, they sound fantastic. I'm thrilled with their sound. 

There's some info about specific (to the review pair) serial numbers in this 1999 Stereophile review around the same time frame - https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/220/index.html

Later on, Thiel changed the tweeters to vented ones (although I'm not sure of the exact date (probably around 2004).  My friend worked at a high end shop and I generally did all his set-ups with him, including changing 2.3 tweeters (I owned 2.3s many moons ago).

igmaty - the CS2.3 was introduced december 1997 and had a minor XO tweak November 1998. Thiel’s serial numbers always began with #1 and 1/2 were the first pair, etc. My notes say about 2750 pairs were made, so numbers would top out about 5500. The coax was updated some time in the product life which necessitated adding an 8.5 ohm resistor and 3uF cap. That change came February 2001. Try Rob Gillum about the particulars of how to identify if you have early or late 2.3s. Once you get oriented, there is substantial / qualitative sonic improvement to be had via relatively simple crossover component substitutions.

First get them up to speed and have fun listening.

jazzman7

Nice catch! I hope these 2.4SE find the next good home.

Happy Listening!