Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

Hi..

Im new here, have posted some posts on another thread, but no one there..

I am the owner of a Thiel collection for home cinema..

I have two Thiels 2.4 which are going to be upgraded to SE, but I'm not quite sure on what for brand capacitor/ coils.. Miflex (kpcu) or Duelund..

But before it get around to them I'm going to replace the resistances on my four SCS3-N coax speakers with mills.

And I've just ordered four SCS coax units from Rob Gillum which makes a total of five.. I've just ordered resistances for all these speakers (mills) and the coils (in all my own built speakers I only have copper foil coils from Mundorf) and the center speaker will be fitted with clarity caps and the other four, for Dolby Atmos, with Mundorf.. 

And then there's the subwoofer... Thiel TSW 12.1.. 

I'll post some pictures when I'm done..

Just a question on the 2.4 upgrade to SE.. is it preferable to use a single capacitor with 14 and 28 uF (when I go for Duelund, I'll be ordering these values if that would be better..) or the combinations of 13+1 and 27+1, like it is now. And if I go for 14 instead of 13+1, would I have to change anything else (coils/ conductance or resistance values)?

Have a nice day

Pieter

pieper1973

Welcome! Good to see you here. Stand by until one of our DIY guys chimes in to address your query. The CS 2.4 loudspeaker is a Honey. Even better once upgraded to "SE" status. I look forward in reading more about your Musical taste and system.

What are the Serial Numbers (S/N) on your pair?

Happy Listening!

For years I've been lamenting that "New Thiel" seemed to have entirely thrown out all the info on "Real Thiel's" comprehensive website.  For me, that included the page of zilllions of links for every speaker made: technical supplements, reviews, owner manuals, marketing brochures, all the way back to the Model 01.  I don't know why I didn't do this years ago, nor have I seen anyone else on this forum bring it up.  I simply brought up archive.org ("the wayback machine") and looked for Thielaudio.com. 

Everything has been saved!  I just picked this one url and I can get to every pdf, paper, review (that's still on the web), even five open positions for hire.  There were many dates of different updates, but rather than crawl through the whole website history I'll offer up this link that seems to recreate the 4/12/2010 capture of the entire website.  Hope it works for the rest of you via this this.

https://web.archive.org/web/20100412030537/http://www.thielaudio.com/

It's like finding out a long lost friend isn't dead after all...

@jafant 

My serial number on the two 2.4's: 253

Music taste... About everything. As in writing this in listening to Mozart.

I bet much like Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Joe Bonamassa, symphonies.. I'm not so much a liver of piano music, is rather hear violin, cello or oboe. Jazz.. older from Evans I really like (even if it is with quite a lot of piano).. 

My system at the moment had been thinned out, because I needed the money for the Atmos upgrade: the four SCS from Rob, all the components to build the XO's and the cabinets.. I also had to expand my amplifier section: I have the Arcam AVR 850 for a couple of years now for cinema and have recently bought the accompanying Arcam AVR P429 to power the SCS's..

I should my Omtec system (I'm not sure if this brand is known outside Germany, but over here they are very highly regarded under enthusiasts). I sold my two mono blocks, the pre-amp and the phono pre-amp (which is really loved and which I hadn't planned on selling.. somebody in eBay asked if somebody had one and I said yes.. which leaves me now on the search for a phono pre-amp; and there I have my eyes set on an amp which you have to build yourself, and is apparently very good. This comes down to the same thing as building your own speakers or at least upgrading the components where possible.. To be bought @ phelektronik.de.. 

So I'm not gonna be listening to my records for a while to come.

My record player is a Linn LP12 with an external lingo 4 power supply, Tiger paw sub Chassis, under plate Foundation and to plate Orpheus both from Vinyl Passion also replaced.. I have a Naim ARO with a Dynavector XX 2, MK.II.

Planned is a Creek Voyager i20. I used to have the destiny 2, before I sold that to buy the Arcam.. the Arcam does a great job of producing a lot of sound for home cinema ( I could have opted to buy a newer home theater system, but none in my price range have the sheer power which the Arcam produces.. and I need a monster to drive all these Thiels ☺️), but for good stereo reproduction or sucks. I need a dedicated amplifier for this.. hence the Creek... 

Further I have an Oppo 203, Arcam CDS27 SACD Player and Arcam rHead amplifier for my Sony mdr1000 and AKG K702 headphones and za Denon DCD-2500NE SACD Player.

@sdecker  

I've made four of these one point coherent speakers (nothing as fancy as in the pictures though) with the Thiel SCS3-N coax. Love m to bits.. 

@vair68robert 

"Moving the crossovers out of the speaker cabinet has interested me ever since I saw an Italian speaker for sale at Echo HiFi in Portland , this is was and is the only speaker that I've seen with external crossovers .  I'm still wondering why this isn't more common on higher end speakers , but me doing it is just beyond my ambition and capability ."

This is what I have done for the speakers I have already built and the others to come. I'm not even going to build the module for subwoofer into its cabinet and I'm definitely thinking about externalising the XO of the 2.4's.. but then I'll also have to remodel the terminal of the speakers.

I'm really looking forward to getting started : I'm waiting for all the parts, which are all in transit from USA/ UK and from Germany... 

Once I have all my parts I will keep you guys up to speed.. 

I'll be back.

Pieter