Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant

brettmcee

Thank You for the follow up on pricing per Rob at CSS. That is quite an extensive Power Amp list.  Which one is in your current system ?

Happy Listening!

I don’t own all of these currently, just amps I have listened to in my system.

The Ampzillas are in my system now. Once I get the right cabling for them, I think they are my final amp. 

What amps are you all using with your Thiels? 

brettmcee

I enjoy AYRE AX-5 Integrated amp.  I concur, Cabling is key.

Happy Listening!

Sorry late response, seems I'm not getting notifications on the thread:/ 

Thanks guys for the info, great advice here!  So the system was a Theta Casablanca ii going via balanced cables into the ML23.5.  From there, I can't recall anything special about the cables though they seemed thicker than my bare 12awg I have, nothing crazy though.  For testing, I brought an ipad and went from the headphone out to RCA of the Theta, max volume on the ipad.  This setup was how I was able to repeatedly hear the buzzing from bass notes. I then brought a separate setup to try and isolate the issue, SMSL SU-8 to XTZ A2-300 with a direct usb connection from the ipad, same issue. 

I spoke with Rob (nice guy!) and he told me to pull the tweeter to eliminate that, and the problem could still be heard but stopped when I put my finger gently on the surround of the midrange.  I noticed the cone was a little loose.  Rob feels it's the midrange in need of a rebuild, though also suggested rotating the driver as well. 

I'll reach out to Bill tomorrow, he's very close to me and I should've thought about him.  Can I swap the midrange drivers easily to ensure that the problem is isolated to the driver?  

Regarding amp choices,  I'm open to the 23.5 as I know it's already a good match.  I see skyfi has a BAT VK500 right now for roughly the same price as the 23.5 as well.  I would welcome any advice on how to find a good pre amp to pair with either.  There's an Eagle 2 on ebay for 700, wow that's a lot cheaper than the other two.  It's tricky for a noob like myself to have an intuitive sense of what amps work with such power hungry, low sensitivity speakers.  Compared to amps, buying speakers seems easy!