Thiel 3.6 vs. Spendor SP100 vs. PSB GOLD

Many of you praise the 3.6s (although w/equipment caveats). Has anyone compared them to the SPENDORS (praised, but criticized for so-so imaging & loose bass), or the PSB Stratus Gold (another liked & hated speaker), & even to the Vandersteens? Could you characterize the strengths & weaknesses of these speakers?
kevziek

Showing 1 response by djohn

Excellent post Artmaltman. I would like to add that I have been an owner of Spendor SP100 Speakers for two plus years now. I am not sure where Kevziek has read, and or perceived that the Spendors have so-so imaging or loose bass. On the contrary, I have read and experienced that the Spendors are extremely good performers in the imaging department (The midrange and tweeter is to die for with the Spendors, and they have been very well praised for this).

However, I have always felt that the SP100's needed a bit more bottom end in the bass department (Certainly not loose bass though). I added a second identical amplifier to bi-amp (Bass for one amp, and midrange/tweeter for the other amp), and this did raise the grade to drive the large 12" woofer independantly. The Spendors are not as efficient as claimed but they are quite good for efficiency (They do need a moderate amount of power to bloom).

As Artmaltman noted above the Spendors are a Music Lovers Speaker.

I finally decided to add a REL Subwoofer to my Spendors, and what a difference. Of the many reviews that I have read on the REL there was always a reference to a Spendor speaker. They were not kidding, and it is very unlikely that I will ever desire another speaker with this combo.

I have not tried the Thiel 3.6 since I do not have the power to drive them. They need a lot of power, and this would have been an extremely expensive road to travel down.

Lusted over other speakers but I was never inclined to sell my Spendor's.

David