Theta Data Basic Transport Repair

I’m sure there’s some former Data owners on here that can answer my question fairly quick. I just acquired a Theta Data Basic and a DSP Pro Basic II. Haven’t tried the DAC but the Transport does not work… I’m sure no one is surprised. 
When I first powered on the transport the display came on but the drawer would not open so my first thought was the gear wheel drive. Could hear something rattling inside so my guess on that was correct. Pulled the drawer out of the case and indeed it’s destroyed.

When I pulled the drawer out and load a CD it does not spin the disc and ERR comes up on the display. Question is, does the same gear spin the disk so maybe this is an easy fix or no it’s a bigger problem and not worth the fix? The gear is cheap but quick search looks like eBay and sellers are in China. The case is in great shape so if I can fix cheap I’ll save it. 
Have not tried the DAC yet but the toggle switch (paddle snapped off) for polarity is busted so I’ll need to change that out.

Greatly appreciate thoughts on the gear if that also spins the drive.
adg101

Showing 2 responses by adg101

Hi bama214

Yeah I bought the gear shortly after first posting and the drawer works great but still get the error so my guess the laser is dead. I don’t think the Jay’s Audio transport uses the CDM9 Pro as Philips stopped making that drive along time ago. Looks like Jay’s Audio is using a Philips but is a CDPro2-LF. Glad yours is working.

Not concerned where the part is coming from as it’s only $15 or so. Only thing that might be an issue is if the drawer isn’t closing properly then it sees it as an error. The gear is totally shredded so surprised the drive for the disc went out at the same time. I’ll properly buy the gear and see if it fix's the problem. Cheap and it’s an easy install.