The Psychology of Constant (Equipment) Change

Anybody have an answer?

I have a decent selection of preamps, amps, integrateds and speakers to choose from and I find myself swapping out gear constantly.  And it's not because anything sounds bad.  Quite contrary, really.

After most swapping sessions, I'm generally really satisfied and quite enjoy the sound quality.  But within a few weeks I'm swapping stuff out again.

What would be the diagnosis for my condition?

128x128audiodwebe

Showing 6 responses by firefly627s

@audiodwebe

You have answered your own question and diagnosis is you are perfectly normal. You have self treated through gained wisdom and realize all you have to do is swap your own gear around. It’s all about the endorphins from change. That’s all it is and you can achieve it without buying new stuff if you have a variety of components already. If new stuff stopped the cycle (never does based on used market) you wouldn’t see the huge amount of really good gear on the used market. Clearly it’s just the change that feeds the endorphin release! Of course, if one has an endless supply of cash and finds it enjoyable to keep buying new gear all the time, they should just go ahead and enjoy themselves; however,  it’s still about "that desire for change, that great new change in sound, those endorphins", albeit it always grows old needing another change, over and over; that is the root stimulus behind all this. 

@wspohn

Totally agree, after a few decades of changing out gear came to realize it is the change itself that gets the endorphins going. No need to buy new stuff (it’s all just same old wine in new bottles at higher $$$). Just keep a couple decent amps and preamps and 2-3 different types of speakers that each do something really well but are different and interchange your own gear ever 6-12 months. Various combinations for variety! IT WORKS! Full satisfaction and endorphins without actually buying any new bottles. Plus even more endorphins when you see your $$$ savings increasing and not being depleted by buying new bottles to effect a change that never remains satisfying anyway! If you can be satisfied (very rare) and stop changing gear; then you have just beat the "cycle for needed change" condition and deserve applause!

@wspohn 

You have found wisdom or it has found you! That may ultimately be the most satisfying component of any audio system. Enjoy the music!

@ahuvia 

Thank you for the insight you provided which intelligently makes total sense, at least to me. Taking the time to interject such worthwhile, edifying comments can only benefit those who are open to what you are saying.  The comparisons, notably the wine analogy, are right on!  Nice job, well presented,  and thank you!