the classic tube sound & the modern tube sound

as a hobbyist since 1965, i have noticed the disappearnace of the classic tube sound, and the emrgence of the modern tube sound. the classic tube sound is exemplified by early conrad johnson amps and preamps, such as the pv 1 and premier 3 and the mv 45, mv 75 and mv 125, audio research sp 3, sp 6, cary audio slp 70 and mac gear of the 60's.

most preamps in production today, manufactured by cary audio, audio research, conrad johnson, art audio, etc., are attempts by designers to produce preamps and amps which are "neutral".

are we better off with the modern tube sound, or do you miss the vintage tube sound ?

which do you prefer and why ?
mrtennis

Showing 1 response by reb1208

Mr.T,

"Cary slp98 pre-amp, various tubes - This is supposed to have something of the "good old tube sound." I didn't care for it. Many other people love it. Maybe I couldn't find the right tubes for it. But mine had silver wire in it, and it sounded like it had silver wire in it, and I don't care for that sound.

Cary slp 2002 pre-amp, stock - I preferred this to the 98 (again, in contrast to others' views). To me, it seemed like a good "in-between" pre-amp-- somewhat lush, but with pretty good extension and bass. And you can roll tubes."

Interesting that we just discussed this the other day. Perhaps your insights on the two pre-amps are correct.