The CD player is dead.......

I am still waiting for someone to explain why a cd player is superior to storing music on a hard drive and going to a dac. Probably because you all know it's not.

Every cd player has a dac. I'll repeat that. Every cd player has a dac. So if you can store the ones and zeros on a hard drive and use error correction JUST ONCE and then go to a high end dac, isn't that better than relying on a cd player's "on the fly" jitter correction every time you play a song? Not to mention the convenience of having hundreds of albums at your fingertips via an itouch remote.

If cd player sales drop, then will cd sales drop as well, making less music available to rip to a hard drive?
Maybe, but there's the internet to give us all the selection we've been missing. Has anyone been in a Barnes and Noble or Borders lately? The music section has shown shrinkage worse than George Costanza! This is an obvious sign of things to come.....

People still embracing cd players are the "comb over" equivalent of bald men. They're trying to hold on to something that isn't there and they know will ultimately vanish one day.

I say sell your cd players and embrace the future of things to come. Don't do the digital "comb over".
devilboy
Post removed 
i like a few pics and lyrics etc so the cd, while not as good as the lp cover art, does meet that need. i buy cds and downloads about 50/50 right now. i am also always looking for 2 and 3 dollar cd.s like elizabeth mentioned. i still like record stores and going thru bins. since i live in the ozarks i sometimes want a new release NOW! last 2 i bought from itunes were tom petty MOJO and aljandro escovedo STREET SONGS OF LOVE, i was not going to drive 150 miles for 2 new cds. sound quality seems excellent on hd and cd and i use a music fidelity dac. currently watching shark week on hdtv{no sound] and listening to music. just like in the 70;s. thanks john
Shuffling around 18000 songs is also a lot easier with a computer. Playing that same Kenny G songbird CD you have had since 1988 has got to get old.
Post removed 
I remember one day in the 1980's, I walked into a local record store and saw some computer softwear on display. I thought, hey, what's a record store doing selling softwear? Looked into it and learned that those CD's was music intended to replace my beautiful LP's. Blasphemy I thought. Computers will never, ever get near my hi fi. Well, years later, I did get a CD player (kept my vinyl rig) and years later, I do have a pretty great sounding music server. Take it for what you will. Took years and years for me to finally find CD sound acceptable. Here, the non-computer savey guys will take years to bite the bullet and realize how great music servers are and do what they need to do to have one set up. Will it sound better than your vinyl, CD, reel to reel or FM sources? Do we care? It will be fun, sound good and will allow you experience hours of uninterupted music of your favorite music. Kind of like FM except your the DJ. That's the key here. It's supposed to be about the music and there isn't an easier way to get to your music. Hey, I still play my CD when I want something special (and my esoteric sounds better than my Berkeley) but the Berkeley sure does sound good. There is no more convenient way to play your music than on a server, but, absolutely not, the CD ain't dead. Not even close.