The CD player is dead.......

I am still waiting for someone to explain why a cd player is superior to storing music on a hard drive and going to a dac. Probably because you all know it's not.

Every cd player has a dac. I'll repeat that. Every cd player has a dac. So if you can store the ones and zeros on a hard drive and use error correction JUST ONCE and then go to a high end dac, isn't that better than relying on a cd player's "on the fly" jitter correction every time you play a song? Not to mention the convenience of having hundreds of albums at your fingertips via an itouch remote.

If cd player sales drop, then will cd sales drop as well, making less music available to rip to a hard drive?
Maybe, but there's the internet to give us all the selection we've been missing. Has anyone been in a Barnes and Noble or Borders lately? The music section has shown shrinkage worse than George Costanza! This is an obvious sign of things to come.....

People still embracing cd players are the "comb over" equivalent of bald men. They're trying to hold on to something that isn't there and they know will ultimately vanish one day.

I say sell your cd players and embrace the future of things to come. Don't do the digital "comb over".
devilboy
I posted this on "Digital" on purpose. I knew that if I posted it on "PC Audio", then most people would agree with me and that way I wouldn't learn anything. I'm trying to get a different perspective on the subject, so thank you all for your input.
Devilboy

Unlikely as most read the "new" threads without regard to which category they are posted in.
I am moving toward the computer based audio as it is the future but I will still use cds as the music source until quality downloads are available. To date I have not downloaded any music.
well,we live in the time where there is no hi-def audio format at the moment, so I would wait....(I play LP's and all vintage McIntosh/JBL system for fun in the meantime...)
I would have both. Just buy a cd player with digital input so you can interact with your cd when you want and can still connect a computer to it for ease of use/random play. Why fight over just having one when most good cd players coming out are equipping themselves with digital inputs?
"Look, I'm not out to "bash" anyone for doing whatever makes them happy. I simply wanted to know what makes one stick with a cdp considering all of the benefits of a hd/dac."
"I WAS SIMPLY ASKING SOMEONE TO EXPLAIN THE BENEFITS OF A CDP.....FOR THE TENTH TIME."
"Apparently Oakleys' computer has some sort of Pratt and Whitney aircraft propeller as a fan. You've got to be kidding me. I'm standing directly in front of my Mac as music is playing (with preamp muted), and I can BARLEY hear anything."

I love it when an OP writes "I just want to know, for someone to explain it to me" and then when someone gives their answer the OP posts "WRONG!!" Cracks me up every time.
Post removed