the big one: how do you choose speakers? By what features, data?

I am curious how the experts choose speakers when upgrading? What are the priorities, what would make you stretch your budget?

Based on e.g....

• brand/company’s reputation
  • price
  • sensitivity
  • crossover frequency
  • compatibility with existing amp, etc.?

I don’t have buyer’s remorse for my last pair but I sure made some stupid choices until I got there, that I could have avoided if I had known about this forum sooner.

grislybutter

Showing 1 response by vandy357

I bought my Focal Sopra 2's almost 3 years ago, when I decided to buy new speakers after owning the Celestion A1's for 22 years I did a lot of research.  I don't have a local dealer around me so I would have to drive around 200 miles to listen to any audio equipment, I just didn't have that much time for various reasons.  I found a PS Audio BHK 250 amp about a month before I got the speakers that Upscale Audio had on sale for a really good price, so I called and just happened to get Joel on the phone.  My first impression was wow this guys seems like he knows what he is talking about.  When I did finally decide to get new speakers I called Joel again to ask about the Sopra's and he assured me that they sounded great.  I went ahead and bought the speakers and could not be happier.  Joel definitely led me in the right direction.  Upscale and Kevin's team are awesome, I just wish I had the time to go to Laverne, CA to meet them in person.