The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Sebrof

I lifted this from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_Research

"In the early 1960s, AR conducted a series of over 75 live vs. recorded demonstrations throughout the U.S. in which the sound of a live string quartet was alternated with echo-free recorded music played through a pair of AR-3s. In this “ultimate” subjective test of audio quality, the listeners were largely unable to detect the switch from live to recorded, a strong testament to Acoustic Research's audio quality."
Here's from wiki also: "Prior to the war Edison Records started a marketing campaign, hiring prominent singers and vaudeville performers to perform along side and alternating with Edison records of their performances played on top-of-the-line "Laboratory Model" Edison Diamond Disc Phonographs. At various stages during the performances, all lights in the theater would be darkened and the audience challenged to guess if what they were hearing was live or recorded; accounts often said that much of the audience was astonished when the lights went back up to reveal only the Edison Phonograph on stage."
Interesting. I'd never heard of these Edison "tests."

It'd be interesting also to find out what/who did the recording that AR used...

Keep listening! And thanks for the response...
Just found the receipt for my AR 3a speakers: Wiesbaden Audio and Photo Club, Mainz-Kastel, Germany, 23 Aug 1975. $402.00 US Dollars for the pair.

Still sound great. May upgrade some day.