The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
Laurence Dickie, the then head techie in B&W, conceived the Nautilus as a true terminated transmission line to completely eliminate rear wave from the driver.The original design called for the 5 way I mentioned earlier,but was shot down by B&W top brass and was finally conceived as a 4 way that you see.It uses an active crossover and needs identical 4 stereo or 8 monoblocks per pair.The crossover is an advanced Bessel type,originally manufactured by Krell,later due to misunderstandings between the two companies was shifted to another source.Lawrence put in many state of the ideas into this procduct for driver isolation,dome construction,magnet and motor construction and a host of other innovations.The enclosure was manufactured by Lotus sports cars, because the diffraction free design drawn by Laurence's girlfriend (an industrial designer )needed expert fiberglass fabrication techniques.
There is a lot of stuff which I have not mentioned as it will take up pages.
Do check out Vivid, it is vivid in presentation and takes time to get used to,as it is too transparent,Cheers.
Linkwitz Orions with 12” Peerless XLS woofers, Seas T25CF002 tweeters and Seas W22EX001 midrange drivers in a 3-way dipole design. Siegfried Linkwitz is the nearly legendary designer of the Linkwitz-Riley crossover, Audio Artistry’s acclaimed Beethoven Loudspeaker System, and the Orions, perhaps his greatest accomplishment in speaker design. After listening to the Orions, I wrote this review for a friend: “The Orions were so transparent, and conveyed such openness, I couldn't tell they were in the room. They sounded neutral to me, not adding to or coloring the information coming from upstream. They had a dramatic three dimensional quality. The soundstage was huge and stretched in every direction. I could not tell that the sound was coming from the speakers. The music flowed over and around me with such realism and so effortlessly that, within my limits to perceive it, I couldn’t detect a single flaw in the playback. The sound was so pure, nothing in the system seemed to create distortion of any kind. Imaging was superb. Instruments and voices were clearer and more defined than with any speaker I have ever heard. There was no noticeable degradation/roll-off with any of the instruments. The low end was full, deep and grand. More information seemed to come through the low end than I’m used to hearing. I've never heard anything that can compare to the bass of these speakers, so tight and articulate. I liked the way it was ‘just there’ when called for, sounding effortless, not seeming to come from a source point, but filling the room seamlessly. The mid-range was impressively lifelike. The tonal quality of voices was right on the money. The upper range was crisp and precise, bright yet soft. Throughout the frequency range, low, mid and upper, the speakers seemed to blend seamlessly. Accuracy and fidelity were revealing. I was lost in the music.“
To me... the most important thing of all in this hobby is to discover your own musical taste first, before considering any equipments...
IMO...
If it's classical... The Apogee is best.
If it's classic jazz... Wilson will do best.
If it's voice... Try Tannoy.
If it's rock, rap, hip hop... Go for 8 ohms speakers.
If it is for Himalayan Sherpa chants ... go for Avante Guard
If it is for Yodeling go for ... Bose.
If it is for Humming go for ... Chevy.

Tubby