The Beatles

What the hell is the fascination with the beatles??? Please can anyone tell me why anybody likes them??? They were horrible musicians, their music was sugarcoated pop with cute hooks and they took themselves to be serious music writers with a message. Beethoven would probably would have laughed
shubertmaniac
dekay: can't rememeber whether you prefer cd's to vinyl. (also can't beleive you've never owned a copy of george harrison's only classic- but, hey, that's ok.) anyway, thought you might like to know that a remastered 2-cd version (with "extra tracks") is set for release on 01/23/01. bet it won't beat my 1st ed., japanese lp box.
DOES IT REALLY MATTER. I don't really think that it makes 2 nickels worth of difference as to what band, group, opera or music style you listen to, or don't listen to. What DOES matter is, not everybody's taste in music is the same. A little respect for all music is in order. The musical influence from many different cultures and styles is what has got us to where we are today. JUST ENJOY THE MUSIC, whatever the type, era, or group. Only my 2 cents worth.
Right place, right time, right product, right manager, right attitude, right engineer, right customer base. And the memories will sell vast numbers of records for the next 20 years. Why is there still so much fascination over the JFK assassination? Because of the indelible memories that it involks. Some people like The Beatle's music, and some don't. ID guess I never heard anyone say that The Beatles were the best musicians in the world. Who told you that Shubertmaniac? If you were between 5 and 20 years old in 1965, then The Beatles have far more significance than just their music. They rode, and changed, the culture of youth at that time. And their vehicle for doing it was their music and the media. Nobody has ever had the top five songs on the charts at the same time like The Beatles did, and they probably never will again.
Beatles a rock n' roll band? Who says. Pop by all definitions. Like Goodman, Kenton, Ellington, Sinatra, and Gilligan. Prolific masters within their genre. But, for bloody sakes, give the boys credit for the expansion of mega-stardom into creativity. Drug induced? Likely. Time enhanced? Undoubtedly. Promulgated by the masses and their needs? Seems so. Propelled by their engineers musical acumen? For sure. All necessary ingredients in manifestatation of a time, a culture, an outpouring of radical transformation. The music was exploratory, innovative, especially to the ears thinking Pat Boone, Sinatra, and Elvis were the end-all. From the early days in Hamburg, and later the Cavern, most things written/filmed/critiqued the Beatles as taking their penchant as entertainers and musicians (again, of their ilk)to new levels. To attain such world notoriety and massive appeal, and yet diverge from the formula, with exploratory syncopations, utilization of non-conventional instrumentations is tribute to the greatness they acheieved. To compare most any composer to Beethoven, much less a contemporary pop band, is truly ludicrous. If you perceive The Stones as the ultimate rock band, as I do, it still does not diminish the creativity and the impact wrought upon virtually the entire Earth. Some have opined the Beatles influence as early stages of Russian downfall. Pervading arrested minds with potentiality. Song after song; melody, lyrically. Each selection carries a uniqueness few groups or individuals have replicated. Anyone who does not recognize their influence on the present world of "music" has not truly researched it's evolution.