Tell about your experience with your old Audio-Technica SL-1200s..

I've had an SL-1200 MKii for about 40 years now - did some KAB upgrades, added a Hana SL cartridge (have a Shure V15 MR Type V as well with the original and a new JICO stylus).  Was thinking about an upgrade to a GR or something else around $2k-$3k and wanted to know, if you came from an old 1200, where did you go from there?  Did you go anywhere?  What did you gain from your next turntable?  Did you keep your old one and are you currently using it as a lazy susan?   I had been considering a tonearm upgrade as a possible option but it looks as if the SME and Jelco arms are disappearing fast or are going for crazy prices.  I understand that if you've never had one, you have no basis on which to make a comparison, but if you have something that knocks your socks off that doesn't require a second mortgage, please share.
bikerbw

Showing 11 responses by chakster

Here is a story:

I still have a pair of upgraded SL1210 mkII in my second system, I bought them in 1995. After all those cheap Ortofon, Shure, Grado (MI and MM) cartridges I finally bought Technics 205c mk3 then mk4 and I was blown away! I tried those rare Technics carts rebuild, re-tipped, with JICO SAS Boron and finally with original stylus (it was the best). And it was a huge impact to start digging for a better cartridges, I tried modern LOMC (it wasn’t better).

When I was ready for upgrade I decided to buy Technics SP-10 mkII and it was HUGE upgrade over my old SL1210mkII with all the tweaks. My choice of tonearm was EPA-100, but then I bought "12 inch Thomas Schick and finally Reed 3p "12 inch.

Then I discovered Technics SP-20, here you can see my SP-10 mkII and SP-20 (black).

After several years of searching and trying many direct drive turntables I ended up with this PD-444. I bought a pair and never looked back, clearly my favorite turntable. But my interest in vintage Direct Drive motivated me to buy Victor TT-101 and Denon DP-80.

I had to sell all my Technics (SP10 and SP20 series) turntables to raise funds for other turntables.

P.S. If you want to try something much better and DIFFERENT then I can recommend SP-10 mkII with EPA-100 tonearm (as much better turntable) and Denon DP-80 in original plinth with DA-401 tonearm as something different and better. Those are reasonably priced, so they are best bang for the $$$.
Chakster also squeezed a 3rd arm on that amazing Luxman 2 arm deck, a beauty, (too rare for me).

No, since I have two LUX turntables I got 4 tonearms in use (2 per deck :)

A picture with 3 arms on one deck was made when I decided to swap 64fx with 66fx, so I put the long 66fx near the short 64fx to compare. Love these tonearms!
Sure they will, you are talking about $400 old Technics (still available at this price) versus $4000 new Technics with completely different motor and superior tonearm and cabinet. No questions that G is simply different class of turntables. 
All KAB mod, except for external power supply, is pretty cheap mod, I did it myself with better parts (cardas wires for tonearm, zu audio mission phono cable, isonoe feet). I removed KAB fluid dampers, they are not necessary if the compliance of the cart is not very high.

You can count inflation rate, but SL1200mk3 always available in Japan for $150-250 used and parts are very cheap. Restored units goes for higher price from resellers for sure.

But the G is another level, even it’s finishing. For those who can spend $15k on a belt drive this G is a great value DD at $4k.

I do not see a relation between SL1200 mk2 series and the new G series, internationally it’s completely different turntable, only dust cover is the same.

People should look for SP-10 mk2 if they want reference class from Technics classics, not the SL1200mk2 for sure. I paid $1200 for SP-10mk2 in mint condition including shipping, now they are a bit more expensive, but this is a great value, not the SL1200 mk2 with all the mods. The SP10mk2 is superior without any mods, the EPA-100 tonearm is superior without any mods.

The SL1200 mk2 is great for $450 today, at this point this is a great value.
For $900 Technics already made brand new Mk7 and for $1700 they made new GR model. The old SL1200 mk2 for higher than $450 is nonsense in my opinion (I bought mine in 1995 and still have them with mods).

But this is what I use in my main system now .

It’s not necessary to stay with Technics, but if you want to keep the cost lower than new G then SP-10 mk2 and EPA-100 tonearm is the way to go, you need at least ‘10.5 inch (or longer) tonearm for SP-10 mk2. You can look for ‘12 inch Thomas Schick tonearms (they are new) if your cart is not high compliance. SP-10 mk2 does not have a pitch control of any kind. You will have to make a custom plinth for this drive. 

You could look for PD-444 turntable if you can spend about $2k (probably nearly $3k with tonearm). Two arms can be used, you don’t gave to think about plinth or mods, and this is beautiful turntable.

HW-40 costs $15k, but what do we know about that DD motor?

Technics made the best DD motor and SP-10R drive cost about $9k , there are $6k left for assembling a custom plinth and tonearm for SP-10R drive to make a total cost on par with VPI Hw-40, but it’s not necessary to go that high.

Direct Drive motors are not the same, there are very cheap dd motors and very expensive dd motors, high torque or low torque, old and new. The reference is coreless DD motor, now it’s Technics. 

However, I think even $4k for the G is too much for the OP (and I wouldn’t pay more for any turntable too).
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with stock Technics headshell, it's one of the lightest headshells on the market (and very cheap). However, for my pair of upgraded SL1210mkII I bought two GOLD Technics shells made for their limited edition gold turntable long time ago, and for my Grado cartridges they are perfect. I think Technics stock headshells are very nice for the money, using a lower compliance carts one may need to find heavier headshells for sure.   
All these shells are aluminum, the main difference is weight and wires. Zupreme made by Jelco. Some other headshells made of magnesium, titanium, wood… One of the cheapest and best new headshells is AT Technihard series (fully adjustable).

There are so many great headshells made in the 70s/80s, my favorite are AudioCraft headshells, they made heavyweight too. Grace carbon-fiber headshells (HS-6) and Grace HS-8 are amazing. Ikeda headshells with overhang adjustment are very nice. Stax made lightweight headshell with azimuth/overhang adjustment. Denon made some nice headshells, Sony made nice headshells. Pioneer made carbon shell. This is the one from Kenwood for example. Technics made Boron-Titanium headshell for the EPA-100 mkII tonearm (unfortunately missed on my tonearm). There are many others. Basically, every manufacturer made their own headshells or ordered them from other manufacturers.
Technics can be purchased as a separate drive (SP10R) while the VPI is a complete turntable for insane price in my opinion (taking in count that it’s a local US brand). Buying separately Drive, Tonearm, Plinth everyone can find affordable gear combo, for example Technics EPA-100 tonearm for $1500 or luxury EPA-100 mk2 for about $2500 (one of the best tonearms ever made).

Great tonearms available for under $1500. New Technics SP-10R drive cost only about $7k in Japan, vintage SP-10 mk3 is cheaper (and probably better). Every component can be purchased used for less $$$.

Direct Drive motor from Technics (Matsushita) used under the platter of Neumann cutting lathe. Nearly all master lacquers cut with Technics DD motor since the ‘70s. It’s the Rolls-Royce of DD motors while the VPI is new to DD, it was a US manufacturer of belt drive turntables (with unipovot tonearms? ).

But even VPI finally decided  to use DD motor, it’s a good sign.
Chakster, I am not going to debate with you, but I think your lens is broken, or perhaps it is that you are looking at things from a distant land. A reasonable comparison here in the USA would be a Technics SL1000R, which retails for a bit over $18,000 and is competitive in every way with the VPI HW40, which placed into it’s proper perspective cannot be viewed as an insane price at $15,000.

Surely from a distant land, I am not in the USA and I can order directly from Japan where they are at least 35% cheaper (SP10R cost $7k, and I’ve seen it for $5k), I normally think before I buy and search for the best deals worldwide. The reason why new Technics is more expensive in USA (than your local VPI) is because SP10R was Made in Japan in imported to USA.

However, it was clearly stated by the OP than even SL1200G for $4k is too expensive for him.

This is my ex SP-10 mkII ($1200) with 12 inch Thomas Schick tonearm $1200) in a custom made teak wook plinth $700. Total without cartridge is $3100 and this is less than new SL1200G.

This is the same SP-10R with EPA-100 tonearm, but the total is the same.

This is my current setup with a pair of Luxman PD-444 DD for two tonearms each, this turntable can be found in mint condition for $2000-3000, but for higher price it's much easier to find, here is the one for sale.

In my opinion those turntables are better than really good new SL1200G for $4k with its limitations.

When I see a turntable for $15 000 (like VPI) I think this is insane price! My thoughts, exactly. 

You’re comparing something to $15k VPI, but let me compare to reasonably priced high-end turntables that everyone can buy for under $4000 on ebay and they are better than Technics in my opinion, because I owned Technics too (many of them).

If you personally can afford $15k turntable it’s fine, but in my opinion this is way too expensive for any turntable.

I don't understand all the hype about Zupreme headshell, there are probably 20 more amazing headshells available from lightweight to heavyweight, at least 2-3 models from each brand like Orsonic, AT, Entre, Stax, Grace, AudioCraft, Denon, Sony, Victor...  some of them with ovehrang/azimuth adjustment like AT, some with treated mounting holes (to avoid nuts) like AudioCraft and Grace HS-6/8, some are carbon-fiber like Grace HS-6 ... 

My favorites are Grace (HS-6 and HS-8) and all AudioCraft headshells.