Tekton Double Impacts

Anybody out there heard these??

I have dedicated audio room 14.5x20.5x9 ft.  Currently have Marantz Reference CD/Intergrated paired to Magnepan 1.7's with REL T-7 subs.  For the vast majority of music I love this system.  The only nit pick is that it is lacking/limited in covering say below 35 hz or so.  For the first time actually buzzed the panel with an organ sacd. Bummer.  Thought of upgrading subs to rythmicks but then I will need to high pass the 1.7's.  Really don't want to deal with that approach.

Enter the Double Impacts.  Many interesting things here.  Would certainly have a different set of strengths here.  Dynamics, claimed bottom octave coverage in one package, suspect a good match to current electronics.

I've read all the threads here so we do not need to rehash that.  Just wondering if others out there have FIRST HAND experience with these or other Tekton speakers

Thanks.
corelli
@snovosel 

since you are considering the ZOTL40 with your DI SE, I would suggest the LTA UltraLinear instead of the ZOTL40. I have the DI SE and own both amps and as much as I love the ZOTL40 the UL is better and the 20 watts are plenty. When I say the UL is better I mean it is the best amp ive ever heard.
@david_ten Thanks again for the suggestion as Terry was kind enough to take time to go over my concerns and thanks to him I have a much clearer path ahead of me.

I’ve ordered a MZ2 upgraded with the linear power supply and NOS tubes, and I will also be demoing a ZOTL40.

Concurrently, I will be demoing a Pass Labs XA25.

I will mix and match everything, including the PrimaLunas, and see how it all shakes out.

Terry further suggested I consider rolling in NOS Tung-Sol black glass, oval plate 1947 6SN7, Brimar 12AT7 Yellow Label, and/or NOS Gold Brand Sylvania 1957 12AT7 (combinations of which he has used to his satisfaction) on the MZ2 and so I will also bring those to the dance as soon as I can track them down.

@lancelock Many thanks for the suggestion about the Ultralinear (UL) which is more costly. I did speak to Mark about that and at least for the moment we decided to try out the above combinations before anything else. So I will try to establish a baseline sound reference with the above gear and then may bring in the UL for a sound check. If the UL expresses "more" magic then I guess the question for me will be, does that "more" justify the extra expense.

One more note I thought I should share (although I wish there was a way for me to display photos of my listening space because then this explanation would be clearer to anyone reading it). After speaking with Terry, I went downstairs to my set up, and essentially redid the configuration. I moved the speakers perpendicular to where they had been, put towels in front of each of the full length movie posters hanging on the walls (in front and to the sides), hung sheets from the center beam to basically separate the length of the room. So now I have a strange looking but essentially cordoned off listening space. This effort produced an immediate, startling, positive effect that has me questioning my entire effort above.

Nonetheless, I am committed to the journey ahead and look forward to hearing where it takes me.

I recently posted this in another discussion...

Well, maybe I'm a little late to the conversation, but... I quite recently had the chance to purchase a used set of DIs with the upgrades, and between all the reviews and hub bub, and the killer price, and my sickness that has me swapping perfectly awesome gear to try new stuff, I jumped at it. And I must say; no regrets! I think that all good speakers have their ideal sweet spot -- paired with the right electronics, in the right room, with the right music. For me and my music, the Tektons blew me away.  

My system is in a really large space -- a great room with vaulted (23') ceilings. So I need some juice and speakers that will throw sound, have a large sweet spot, but still allow for critical listening in the "perfect seat". I originally paired them with Red Dragon Leviathan monoblocks, and they performed admirably -- great detail and extension, and very nicely balanced, high-to-low. Then I paired them with a set of 845 monoblocks that push 50+ w/ch, and WOW, did they ever sing.

I've owned some pretty nice speakers in my day, including a couple "world beaters" like Vandersteen 3a Sigs, open baffle designs, Audio Physics Virgos, Thiel CS5i, Zu Audio -- to name a few.

The speakers that they were going to replace were a pair of PureAudioProject Trio15Voxativs -- fantastic speakers indeed. Here's how I'd sum it up. The open baffle architecture of the PAPs fills my large room with luscious sound, giving me the sensation of being mid-concert hall. The Tektons put me in the 5th row. More slam, easier to place instruments on the stage, better extension on both ends, and more detail (microdynamics?) without being etchy. Where the Tektons really shone (shined?) was on small ensemble jazz, and acoustic rock.

Now, I realize that a lot of my perception might well be attributed to The "shiney new toy" syndrome, so I dragged a few friends -- listening buddies -- over for a glass or two and a listen. It was unanimous; the Tektons were regarded by all as the best speakers we'd ever heard in my system. Chet Baker/Bill Evans, Joni Mitchell, Jason Mraz, Dave Brubeck, Stephen Stills, Jason Isbel, Father John Misty; all just brought my room to life through the Tektons like we'd never heard before. And for that matter, Zeppelin II sounded better than I ever remember hearing it also.  

So, now I'm in a quandry. Looks like I'll be selling off some excess gear b/c I've found my listening Shangri La -- until the next urge hits me. But for now, I can whole-heartedly recommend the Tekton DIs. If they can sound this good in my shitty/non-ideal environment, then I'm dead-certain that they'll make a lot of people happy. My only hedge would be to recomment that you treat them like higher-end speakers, and pair them with the gear that one might intend for much more expensive speakers.

Happy listening!

@snovosel  - thanks for sharing your experiences regarding the amps! As to your comment: "One more note I thought I should share (although I wish there was a way for me to display photos of my listening space because then this explanation would be clearer to anyone reading it)" The system pages on Audiogon are the best way to share pictures and thoughts on your system. I totally believe "a picture is worth a thousand words." I've been trying to get people to use the system pages for years. It's a little bit of work but it's worth it! 

@jbomber - nice series of speakers you've had over the years! What brand are the 845 monoblocks you are using with the DIs? What does the rest of your system consist of?

@sbayne  Keep hounding me on posting my system...it's been helping me get closer to doing so. You're a good role model...I need to get busy with the 'modeling' part.  : )

BTW, if you haven't checked out Scott's system page I encourage you to take a look. He updates on a regular basis and following the progression is interesting and educational.