Tekton Double Impacts

Anybody out there heard these??

I have dedicated audio room 14.5x20.5x9 ft.  Currently have Marantz Reference CD/Intergrated paired to Magnepan 1.7's with REL T-7 subs.  For the vast majority of music I love this system.  The only nit pick is that it is lacking/limited in covering say below 35 hz or so.  For the first time actually buzzed the panel with an organ sacd. Bummer.  Thought of upgrading subs to rythmicks but then I will need to high pass the 1.7's.  Really don't want to deal with that approach.

Enter the Double Impacts.  Many interesting things here.  Would certainly have a different set of strengths here.  Dynamics, claimed bottom octave coverage in one package, suspect a good match to current electronics.

I've read all the threads here so we do not need to rehash that.  Just wondering if others out there have FIRST HAND experience with these or other Tekton speakers

Thanks.
corelli

Showing 5 responses by cmss2000

Thanks guys!  Does anyone know of a good source for those tubes? I previously looked in one endcap for the spikes but it could have been a top endcap. I'll go down in a bit and check the other endcaps. And yes, I did order the grills but I think they are shipped separate as they definitely weren't in the box and I remember someone else mentioning it took a while to get the grills after they received the speakers. That's when I thought the spikes would arrive too.

I'm really getting excited about audio again, I thought I was done with it because of the skyrocketing prices of good gear. It's nice to hear there are still some great finds for a decent price. I want to thank Teajay and everyone else for sharing these little "secrets".
Hi Guys!  It was teajay's review and the value of the DI's that made me order a pair. I have to laugh about the WAF comments though. I was met with "these speakers look so much better", no doubt because they are replacing 6 ft high Dunlavys. I haven't received the spikes or the grills yet. Are stock spikes included?

I'm really enjoying the speakers, but want to get the most out of them, so I'm considering ordering the MZ2 and hoping I can run it without the amp as that not only saves money but sounds like the hot setup.

Teajay, what  configuration (which MZ2 and which tubes) is recommended when ordering the MZ2? I'd like to get it right from the start. Thanks for a great thread!
Thanks for the tube sources! I'll be checking them out.
Well, I finally unburied the spikes. I thought they were going to be much bigger for some reason but they work. I also pulled the speakers together a little more (I had them at 8 ft apart originally, now a little less than 7).
And yes Teajay, the sound is definitely better with the spikes (and probably because of the spacing). Noticing a more stable center image. All notes are a little more defined and the bass is more solid. The speakers have disappeared and the sound is really nice! Can't wait to hear them with an MZ2. Keep the suggestions coming, much appreciated! 
I've decided not keep my pair and will be exercising Tekton's return policy. The website says they may not be for everyone...that's why they offer a 60 day return policy. I called to see if they would send me a shipping label because their charges would be much less than mine (which I would pay), but have not heard back from them yet. I'll keep everyone posted.
Hello all,

It's not that I don't like the DI's. They are very, very good speakers and I do like them and if I didn't have my current speakers, I would definitely keep them.

As I mentioned before, my other speakers are Dunlavy SC-IV's. They are quite similar in layout in that they are D'appolito towers with two 10's, two 5.25 and a 1 inch tweeter in each one. I've listened to both pairs changing speaker location, electronics and media. 

The speakers to me, sound very similar. They are both great at coherence, imaging, soundstage, definition, flatness, etc. The DI's may even have a little better bass, but there is not enough of a difference to justify me spending the extra money. I was originally hoping they would just blow the Dunlavy's away, but they didn't. Maybe it's just me, maybe I can't hear as well as I used to, but it doesn't make sense for me to spend the extra cash for the same sound.

Still have not heard back from Eric on a return shipping label, so I guess I am going to have to ship on my own. I even offered to pay some or all of the shipping charges they incurred in sending the speakers to me if they would work with me, but I guess I'm on my own.