Tekton Double Impact & Comb Filtering

Like many of you, I have been pondering purchasing these speakers but am very curious about the unusual tweeter array. I asked the smartest speaker person that I know (he is a student of Sean Olive) about the design and below is what he had to say.   

"In theory it could work, but the driver spacing means that the crossover point would need to be very low.
He is using the SB acoustics tweeter which is 72mm in diameter, center to center on the outside opposing drivers is around 5.7 inches, which is about 2400Hz. This means that combing would stop between 1/4 to 1/2 of the wavelength (between 1200-600Hz) is where the outside tweeters should start playing nice with each other.
Since he is not using low enough crossover points he has created a comb filtering monster. Now while it's not the great point source that was promised, it's no worse than most line arrays and the combing will average itself out given enough listening distance.

The MTM spacing on the other hand is ridiculous. Hopefully he is cutting the top end off on one of those midrange drivers to avoid combing."

seanheis1

Showing 8 responses by bullitt5094

Why do normally reasonable people want to hate this speaker when they have never been in the same room with it. Then ignore the fact, 99% of the people who have heard it and/or now own it, absolutely love it? Is it the fact the haters own expensive speakers and the thought that something in this price range is so good, it cuts into their systems' "exclusivity". Are they audio snobs? Wow, I really hope not.
Obviously you aren't going to believe anything positive the owners of these speakers offer. I'm not sure why you're wasting YOUR time missioncoonery. Is it to straighten all us owners out and convince us our opinions are wrong buying these "cheap" speakers and loving them. How dare we!
Not for me it isn't. The only metric that counts for me is what they sound like in my home. But if you're looking for a reason to not audition the DIs, use that one and ignore all of us that have heard and own them.
Please, if you aren't serious about purchasing from him and are just looking for rocks to throw, don't call him. We, who await upgrades or shipments would rather have him working on our stuff. But if you're actually making a decision to buy, he will happily satisfy your need for information. Thank you!
I don't know who called these midfi speakers, but that is a minority report if that is something from an owner. You really, really want to find fault with this product, don't you? I just can't figure out why that is.
Where in that quote do you come up with midfi? I use my DIs for HT & 2ch just as I used my B&W 804s for both HT and 2ch before the Tektons unseated them. I'm about to add Odyssey Candela pre and Kismet Reference power amp pieces to the same HT front end. The Candela allows a pass-through mode for HT applications. Best of both worlds. Using the Odyssey pieces in HT certainly doesn't make it midfi.
missioncoonery Eric's return policy is very generous. Especially when evaluated against the industry standards. As a manufacturer, you wouldn't want to expose yourself to customers with no intention to purchase. When you ship something to someone, you want them to have some skin in the game. If you can't afford to risk the cost of return shipping, then you can't afford the speakers in my opinion, and Eric shouldn't have to pass along the cost of your I'll intent of abusing a manufacture's generosity. Is this the best argument you can come up with to fault Eric's product and marketing? Really?
I too doubted the Tekton "hype". I purchased and put the DI on trial against my long loved B&W 804s in my home. The DIs were clearly superior at less than half the price. I now have the Ulfs on order from Eric. Some of us backup our first-hand testing and knowledge with investments in products that prove their worth. Some of us are just trollboys.