Technics SB-C700 -- anyone heard them?

These intrigue me but the reviews (Stereophile versus Hi Fi Choice) are mixed and controversial. For those who own them or did an extended demo, what do they sound like? And what amp are you using and how far out into the room are they?
greg7
The fact that nobody has replied to your post, makes me all the more want to post. These speakers have not received the recognition they deserve (while the KEF LS50s are universally acclaimed). To that end, I will offer my opinion on the Technics, while comparing them to the KEFs as well.

I have owned the Technics for a couple weeks now, and I was immediately impressed with their sound (I owned the KEFs for over 9 months before the Technics). My system consists of a single Schiit Aegir power amp running in stereo, PS Audio PCA-2 pre, and Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC. As a note - I listen in nearfield.

I agree with basically all of HR's thoughts on their sound, but with adding how GOOD they sound. They are fast - they produce sounds with natural start and also all the right overtones of every instrument I've heard. This gives the impression of being live at the venue. The KEFs in contrast got the tone of sounds right, but could not offer the same immediacy and "live venue" impression - they are much slower that the Technics. This is the biggest difference I've heard between the two.

The Technics are extremely detailed, transparent and revealing with very very good separation of instruments and with beautiful treble "open air" - all more than the KEFs. The also portray a very natural, precise and large soundstage with hauntingly good imaging. The KEFs have been lauded for these traits - the Technics do all of it better. The Technics are very balanced from top to bottom, with great bass weight, clarity, and volume. When playing test tones, I can just hear the 30hz tone, and the 40hz tone is only slightly lower in volume than 50 and 60hz. The treble is the most honest, clean, and detailed I've ever heard. The mids are lush and revealing, but not over emphasized like with the KEFs.

The result of all the good traits that the Technics exemplify is that they sound VERY natural and "live" - meaning the tone, balance, speed, and detail all present music like you are there. I've read others compare them to mixing monitors, and I understand where they are coming from. I imagine that they resolve everything as heard by the producer. However, I want to emphasize that they are also true audiophile speakers, meaning they are incredibly fun to listen to. To me, they are a dream come true - they let me hear things the way they are "supposed" to sound. No coloration, no exaggerations. 

"Everything you can do, I can do better" - in my opinion, the Technics take all of the good qualities of the KEFs and improve on them. Let me say what other reviewer have not said - I'm selling the KEFs because the Technics are just better.