Technics integrated sug 700

Does anyone have any experience with this amp? I purchased one on Audiogon two years ago and think it is a very fine amp. What are your impressions of its performance?

Can someone answer me is this a high current amp it is 70 watts at 8 ohms 140 at 4 ohms? that all they tell you in the manual

Also what is the headroom of this amp? How do you determine headroom if it is not specified by the manufacturer?

As you can tell I'm not up to speed on what constitutes a good amp? Is a good just how it sounds to you?

Also, I noticed that its THD is rather high for an SS amp at "70 W + 70 W (1 kHz, T.H.D. 0.5 %, 8 Ω, 20 kHz LPF)
140 W + 140 W (1 kHz, T.H.D. 0.5 %, 4 Ω, 20 kHz LPF)" from their manual.

What does .5 THD actually mean in terms of hearing distortion? if it is there I can't hear it I'm 75 so my hearing sure is not normal far from it.  I know it is a measure of distortion but just how important is it and at what % should raise concern

Thanks for your time and ensight ?

scott22

Showing 1 response by scott22

holmz thank you for your time and expert explanations it is appreciated.

I often read about this amp or that has good headroom. I thought it meant that at loud levels when you are pushing your amp to its limit and the music pushes it over its max it has a reserve that can cover that brief moment of sound without clipping. Now I think it means having enough watts to cover any musical note played at volumes up to and including those which will make your ears bleed before the amp will clip. In short, your ears will clip before the amp.