Technics 1200GR Owners

I’ve just recently bought a 1200GR, and a Zu Denon 103.  I’d be curious what others think of the table and it’s sound who have had it a while and if there are any suggestions you would like to share to get the best out of it. 

Just for for reference sake my main rig is a VPI Prime with Eagle PSU and Roadrunner tach, two belts with HRX Pulley and Soundsmith Carmen II. 
last_lemming

Showing 1 response by robelvick

I just bought the SL1210GR about a month ago.  So far I'm absolutely loving it!  I've been switching out carts to find the best match in my system - Ortofon 2M Black/Bronze, Kontrapunkt B, and Clearaudio Maestro V2.  No clear winner yet, as they all have their own signature, and all sound wonderful.

I use the Technics stock headshell, an Ortofon LH-9000, and a Yamamoto Sound HS-2HS-2 headshell.  All adding a mild signature that sounds good IMO.  With the non-Technics headshells, I am using the additional tonearm weight.

I did remove the stock feet, and replaced them with an Isonoe Suspension Footer system and sorbothane boots w/ glass inserts, bought from KAB USA.  Certainly helps with vibration, and blacker backgrounds.

I've also been playing around with different mats.  I did not care much for the stock rubber mat, although it's not terrible.  I've been going back and forth with a Funk Firm Achromat (5mm), and a Poly-Glass mat with a thin rubber mat on top.  More more lively midrange in my experience.