technics 1200 cartridge and preamp choices

i'm looking for a cartridge and preamp for my technics 1200, i was wondering if you all could give me some direction. i've done quite a bit of searching on the web; from what i understand the tonearm on the 1200 is medium weight.. i've read alot of favorable reviews of the Denon dl-103 and 103R which are about in my price range ($200-300) for this type of tonearm.

for preamp, I was looking at the Grado PH-1 and the Creek OBH-8SE ($300-500 range) i'm especially interested in hearing peoples opinions of these preamps or ones of comparable value.

i'll be playing all genres of music from classical to rock.
fadeawayman

Showing 2 responses by psychicanimal

I use the KAB modded Groovemaster & Monolithic Sound pre w/ dual mono power supply. I had Dusty send me the schematic and installed NOS Holco resistors for the 75K Ohm loading. It's a Killer combo.

I also have an Ortofon HO MC, but the Groovemaster beats it.
If you want to go the Ortofon way I suggest the X5 MC. It is a 'high' output MC ( 2.5 mV) with very good ( but not excellent) trackability. The tonearm damper helps a lot bringing its resonance frequency in range and improving trackability.

The X5's stylus shape is a Fritz Geiger, a type similar to that of cutting lathes. Therefore, it is very tricky to install properly ( or will literally *cut* your records ), but the Monolithic handles it VERY well. The midrange is never like the Groovemaster's but it has great high frequencies and three dimensionality. It is truly one of audio's classic cartridges, in continuous production since the early 1980's. The X5 was a suggestion from one of the Needle Doctor's salesmen who is both a DJ and a high end audio enthusiast.