technics 1200 cartridge and preamp choices

i'm looking for a cartridge and preamp for my technics 1200, i was wondering if you all could give me some direction. i've done quite a bit of searching on the web; from what i understand the tonearm on the 1200 is medium weight.. i've read alot of favorable reviews of the Denon dl-103 and 103R which are about in my price range ($200-300) for this type of tonearm.

for preamp, I was looking at the Grado PH-1 and the Creek OBH-8SE ($300-500 range) i'm especially interested in hearing peoples opinions of these preamps or ones of comparable value.

i'll be playing all genres of music from classical to rock.
fadeawayman

Showing 4 responses by fadeawayman

I definitely prefer lush over analytical. i am still learning about phonos, but as i understand now MC are more analytical so maybe MM is the way to go.

Nzera:
The KAB groovemaster looks interesting given that it is made specifically for the 1200 and is in my price range. that stylus hanging out there scares me a little though. i wouldn't expect the bellari unit to sound good given that it is so cheap, but since you have had success with this combo i will add it to my list of things to consider.

Jsd:
Unfortunately the Shelter 501 is out of my price range, but the Krell KPE is not. i will add that to my list as well.
speaking of KAB carts, the KAB-Ortofon Pro S40 looks interesting as well. I wonder how this compares to the Groovemaster, given that the S40 is slightly more expensive ($229 vs $200)
i just bought a monolithic pre as well from a fellow audiogoner. i am leaning towards the ortofon pros40, only because KAB says there are linited supplies of replacement styluses for the groovemaster.