TECHNICS 100th Anniversary 2018 Premium Turntables. Their best ever.

I discovered this morning that Technics announced at CES the about to be released later this year their premium Special edition 100th Anniversary Turntables. Head and shoulder's above the SL-1200G and SL-1200GR. The two new models are the SP-10R, which has an outboard power supply with no tonearm and will retail for $10K. Panasonic claims the SP-10R has the highest S/N ratio in the world against any belt drive or direct drive tables on the market. 
The other model is the all in one unit including tonearm, the SL-1000R which will retail for $20K. Only one word comes to mind looking at the pics this morning of the SL-1000R, DROOL! They upgraded and improved the coreless motor thats in the SL-1200G and SL-1200GR models. SME and SOTA, eat your heart's out!
audiozen

Showing 9 responses by tzh21y

The SME and Technics are 2 different animals.  The SME is Smooth, quiet, and slow sounding.  The Technics is fast, great timing, pretty darn quiet, great bass, and fairly neutral with a slight hint of warmth. I would say one of the best values in audio today.. If SME made the 1200g, it would cost 15 grand.
I am using the Boston Acoustics Mat.  I would like to try the Luxman mat.  Has anyone used the Luxman?
I do not think so. Panasonic is a much bigger company than SME with more engineering prowess and can absorb costs much easier than SME even though SME is a defense contractor that makes their deck in house from scratch. Thats not to say that the SME is not well engineered table. It is an old design. Great table 25 years ago. Your Michell is better in many ways than the SME. When I heard the SME, I liked it but was somewhat disappointed. I expected more. It is a somewhat thick slow sounding table and although it is very detailed and quiet, when I heard the direct drive in the Technics. it was a ear opener and eye opener at the same time. The leading edge attack and transients are just really something. Sounds spooky real at times. I hear things on a 4K table that I only heard on 20K tables. Frankly the SME sounds in many ways like a Linn LP12. I recently hear a totally maxed out Linn and this 4K table wiped the floor with it. Totally. Sorry but you are wrong on this one.  Many things are also very system dependent.  In some systems an SME would sound great.  You are right about the Michell.  It is a great table and it was a difficult decision for me.  If I were you, I would keep the Michell unless you just want something different.  You cannot get much better than that regardless of price.
If I had a criticism of this table, It would not be the arm.  It is very good.  Is there better, of course but for most people it will be all they ever need. It would be that I think this table could be quieter.  The Linn and SME do seem quieter.  Not sure if it power supply related but just an early observation.  Again, this table is in its infancy.  That is not to say its not quiet, because it is.  The thing it does not do is color the sound like a linn or an SME, VPI, etc.  I truly believe you hear what is there for good or bad in spades.
The Linn was very detailed and did have a deep soundstage.  It was just not as agile as the 1200g.  I do think it sounded as good or better than the SME 20 that I heard.  I honestly think the 1200G does everything better than the Linn.  Thats just my ears.  Maybe it was the cartridge or the system I heard it on.  
One of the things I am amazed by is how well this table plays old vinyl.  Old living stereo vinyl sound incredible. Cartridge does have a lot to do with it but it just cruises through crescendos with ease, much better or as good as almost every belt drive table I have ever heard at any price.  Direct drive is an eye opener.  The motor is the heart of a turntable and the 1200g has a good one.  The thing is that this table is not even near broken in yet.