TECHNICS 100th Anniversary 2018 Premium Turntables. Their best ever.

I discovered this morning that Technics announced at CES the about to be released later this year their premium Special edition 100th Anniversary Turntables. Head and shoulder's above the SL-1200G and SL-1200GR. The two new models are the SP-10R, which has an outboard power supply with no tonearm and will retail for $10K. Panasonic claims the SP-10R has the highest S/N ratio in the world against any belt drive or direct drive tables on the market. 
The other model is the all in one unit including tonearm, the SL-1000R which will retail for $20K. Only one word comes to mind looking at the pics this morning of the SL-1000R, DROOL! They upgraded and improved the coreless motor thats in the SL-1200G and SL-1200GR models. SME and SOTA, eat your heart's out!
audiozen

Showing 3 responses by ferrari275

I doubt you guys are going to reach a consensus but my own opinion is this: to reach the level of performance afforded by the best vintage DD turntables after restoration, possible re-plinthing, and calibration of the drive system, you have to spend more than $20k on a BD. Even then, there will be qualitative differences due to inherent differences in the drive technology, and plenty of room for subjective opinion for that reason. But, Invictus, the adjectives you chose for the new technics just don't make sense to me, I must say. Unless someone was regarding the platter with his finger (joke).

Well put sir, well put.
The hard part to swallow about the 1200G for me is the "Guitar Musicians Store" aka DJ turntable aesthetics.  With a more polished design, they could have easily sold these to many more high end enthusiasts.
1200G's aesthetics are iconic.

The Volkswagen Beetle's aesthetics are also iconic.  But, it still does not make it a lust-worthy automobile enthusiasts sports car.

Perhaps the internals and platter make the 1200G's playback worth the investment for some, but between the low quality tonearm and electronic chain store aesthetics, for me it's a no go as even in my secondary office system it would appear cosmetically out of place.