Tannoy Speaker Owners

I have Tannoy DC8Ti speakers.  I'm planning to retire sometime this year, and want to try tubes before I do. I'm wondering what amps, tubes or otherwise, other Tannoy owners have. I'm only interested in power amps.  I've tried the Tannoy's with each of my three solid state power amps: Pioneer SPEC-4 (~36 years old) ; McIntosh MC2600 (~ 25 years old); and NAD M22v2 (1 year old). The NAD sounds best in my system: wider sound stage with better instrument separation, timbre, musicality, detail, etc.  

My current system:  Herron VSTP-3A(r02) pre amp, NAD M22v2 power amp, Innous Zenith MKII media player, Small Green Computer i7 for Roon DSP, Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE DAC, Parasound JC3jr phone pre, and Technics SL-1200G TT w/ Ortofon Quintet Black.

My listening room is small ~13'x12'x8'.  I listen to contemporary jazz (no John Coltrane , Miles Davis, etc) and old school R&B (none of today's Hip Hop or Rap).  I love vocals (e.g., Gregory Porter, Diana Krall, Angela Glaupo, Randy Crawford, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Chicago); non-vocal music (e.g., The Crusaders, Arne Domnerus, Brad Mehldau, Dave Grusin, Stanley Clarke) and the combination of both (e.g., War, Earth, Wind, and Fire, Santana).

I'd like to audition whatever I buy in my system.  I'd prefer to start looking at amps that others are using. My budget is ~$7500, and I'm in no rush.

I'm not opposed to used, and there are several deals on agon at the moment. In particular a Zesto Audio Bia 120 that is about 60% below retail.  In my area, there are several high-end audio stores and independent manufactures that produce high-quality / reference grade components.  I realize there's the usual suspects (Cary, Rogue, PrimaLuna, Luxman, etc.).  I also plan to visit the local manufactures.

128x128oldschool1948

Showing 13 responses by oldschool1948

@stringreen I realize the NAD M22v2 is the weakest link in my system.  Overall however, it is a nice sounding amp.  If it were not, I would have replaced it long before now.

I am looking for a warmer amp that has better speaker control, particularly in the mid range because I listen to old school R&B, contemporary jazz, and some soft rock.  Because I am space limited, monoblocks are out.
In-spite of all of the craziness going around with this new virus, I've had the opportunity to audition both the LTA ZOTL40 Reference and ZOTL Ultralinear amplifiers.  The ZOTL40 sounds so good in my system.  It probably goes without saying, the ZOTL40 sound is more natural and musical than my NAD M22v2.

Next, I plan to audition a pair of Bel Canto REF600M monoblocks.  I'd be happy with the ZOTL40, but I want to make sure they are worth the additional $1800 retail price.

I just ordered a PS Audio DirectStream DAC (they have a sale on at the moment), and upgraded my RCA cables to Transparent Audio MusicLink Super MM2.  With the new cables, background voices and music are much clearer and focused, and the sound is a little warmer - which I like.  The SQ with the ZOTL40 and new cables is the best I've ever had with my system.  I can't wait to see how the DSD and my Zenith MK2 work together, as compared to my Audio Mirror DAC.  
David,

Thanks for the specs.  Why didn’t I think of that :-)!

Unlike my youth, I now keep my listening levels low to moderate. I’m just trying to enjoy the music.  My “rock the house” days are long over.

The NAD pushes the Tannoy’s with ease.  I have the NAD gain set to low and the Herron gain set to high. In my near field listening position, I get a nice bass response with great vocals and crisp highs.  I don’t want to loose any of that with a tube amp, and I’ve read that Class D amps have a deeper bass than tubes.  I also don’t want to use any subwoofers.  

Johnnie

Its all about matching the speaker and amp appropriately together.
I couldn't agree more.  The NAD is a pretty good match with these speakers.  But, I'm hoping to hear that "tube magic" that so many folks talk about.

@cd318 I have considered keeping it and calling it a day.  But, by son just bought another house.  As a house warming gift,  I've given him my NAD M12 pre/dac w/ BluOS module, M22v2 amp, vintage Technics SL-1600MK2 TT, and vintage DCM TimeWindow 3 speakers.  That's one of the main reasons I'm in the market for a new amp for my main system; and I can justify the expense with my wife :-). 

If I end up staying SS, I'll buy some monoblocks.  I plan to start that way with tubes.
I agree on the quality front.  Great sound a given, I also want something that's going to last.  For the amp, I set my budget at $7.5K for something new.  I'm hoping to buy a demo or used amp at a much better price.  

I want to move into retirement with a bang, so in my overall budget, I've included an upgrade from my Parasound JC3jr to a Herron or Sutherland Little Loco.  I have about 1200 vinyl albums that I purchased in the 70's and 80's, and a few recent ones that I'm taking more time to enjoy.  I got kinda lazy and spent more time streaming because it was easier.  After buying the 1200G and JC3jr, I quickly realized what I've been missing.  I'm hoping a better phono pre and the right tube amp will take my analog SQ to another level with the speakers I have.

I hadn't budget for new speakers, and I realize speakers more efficient that what I have would better.  I got both DC8Tis (demos) in mint condition for less than the price of one.  I could not pass up that deal.  At the time, I was looking at a pair of Tannoy Turnberrys, which are 93 dB efficient.  I may have to revisit that idea.

Thanks to everyone who’s responded.  This has given me a lot to think about.  My plan is to stay with separates, and to try a tube amp.  I hope to audition the Audio Mirror Reflection 45 WPC SET mono blocks within the next two weeks and go from there.

I’ve read great reviews of Atma-sphere amps and @snackeyp your comments make we want to audition them as well.  I’ve considered Primaluna and have a local dealer that I plan to visit.  They also have Rogue, Luxman, and a few others.

I haven’t had an integrated amp since the 70’s when I was a huge Pioneer and Marantz fan.  I’ve been using separates since the early 80’s and don’t see that changing in the foreseeable future.  I like the idea of being able to swap out a component for something better.

I’ve bee quite 
@mulveling Thanks for the feedback. Never heard VACs. I’ll have to talk to some of the local dealers.

I hope to audition Linear Tube Audio’s reference power amps next week. LTA is a local manufacturer, who will be at the upcoming Tampa audio show. 
@cd318  Thank you.  I truly appreciate your comments.  I also had way too much 80's and 90's era stuff from my military days, and began giving it way last year to my nephew, godson, and goddaughter.  In the end, I can't take it with me:  NAD 7140 receiver each; original Bose 901s w/ equalizer and chrome stands, JBL L100, and Boston Acoustic T1000 speakers.  I set them up with Raspberry PI DACs so they can stream Tidal via Logitech Media Server.  

@mulveling @gadios.  If I do change to another Tannoy model, it will mostly likely be the Turnberrys.  I wanted the Ardens, but they are too wide for my listening room.  Also, the chief-of-staff (my wife) gets a say, so whatever new speakers I buy have to look "nice" and fit our home decor.  Know that I mean?

Today, I visited Linear Tube Audio and listened to their ZOTL40 Reference and ZOTL Ultralinear power amplifiers.  Both sounded really good; I liked the  ZOTL40 best.  Next step is to hear the ZOTL40 in my listening room. 

I'm anxious to hear how the ZOTL40 compares to the Pioneer SPEC-4 that I'm currently using (since I've given away the M22v2).  The SPEC-4 pushes the Tannoys with ease and sounds really nice (after I changed the Herron's gain from High to Low and set the SPEC-4's gain controls appropriately).  
The F702's look very nice and a lot like my DC8Ti's.  They are priced about the same.  The F702's are more efficient and lack rear ports, which might be good depending on the amp I end up with.  

Going with a tube amp is a big decision for me because I've always used SS amps.  And while the NAD M22v2 sounds really nice in my system, I want to audition mono blocks - tube or SS.  There are so many choices that its mind boggling.  
@gadios. Thanks for the suggestion.  I will definitely try to audition that amp.  The price is well within my budget. 
A lot has changed in my system since my last post.  I never did audition the BC power amps.  As much as I liked the ZTOL40, I’m now giving serious consideration to the PS Audio BHK 250 because I recently purchased the BHK Reference pre amp, DirectStream DAC, and Stellar Phono pre amp.  Price wise, the 250 is a better deal because of PS Audio’s trade-in and existing customer discounts, which is great.

The BHK 250 gets great reviews and I’m convinced it sounds great with its matching components and the right speakers.  As a hybrid power amp, I’m wondering how it will sound with my Tannoy's.   

I’ve read Tannoy’s sound better with tubes.  The BHK 250 has a tube input stage only.  I’m inclined to buy it because I can always send it back, but before I do, I’d like to hear from other Tannoy speaker owners - especially any that might be using a BHK 250.