Tannoy D700, 500 How do they sound?

I'm using two mono tube amps, 35-40 watts, trioded 6550Cs each, and wondering about suitable speakers, $2-4k, that are smooth, fun, dynamic, deep tight bass, for classical & jazz. Anyone heard the Tannoys? I've enjoyed Paradigm 100, Nova Applause, VMPS RM1. -Thanks!
boscode

Showing 1 response by pmurphy7e04

Try the Tannoy Saturn 8's and THEN audition the Saturn 10's for a big improvement in bass (smooth, not boomy) and clean, revealing hf/mid ranges. I like their truthful, detailed rendition of female vocals and related jazz percussion (guitar/bass string plucks and drum brushes) plus their dynamics for rock music. The big plus is they are easy to listen to for long periods and are, imo, a better choice for home use than Tannoy's pro monitors (same dual concentric drivers) but cost more for similar sized drivers, aren't floor standers and look rather industrial. The pro series Tannoys are VERY revealing and fun for hearing new details on familiar music...like the first time you heard a favorite LP on a good set of phones. They're just more unforgiving, as good monitors should be. Saturn 10's come in black or very light "cherry" vinyl covered cabinets with black grilles over dark gray baffles. They list for $2200 but can be bought for about $1500/pr. which is less than half the cost of the D700's real wood veneer models. You can spend the savings on a new preamp! As for your amps, it depends on their ability to drive nominal 6 ohm loads at desired levels. Their specs recommend 30-200 Watts but they are fairly efficient at 93 dBSaturns aren't as hard to drive as Thiels. I've heard a single SS 50 Watt BEL 1001 drive S10's better than my 250W Bryston that really controls them well.