Tannoy?

Tannoy speakers are quite popular in Japan and Taiwan. I noticed that people have high regard for old Tannoy speakers using Red, Gold, or the HPD drivers. But in the States, I could not find a single Hi-Fi store to audition Tannoy speakers in my state. It seems B&W speakers are much more popular in the States.

Comments?

P.S. I owned a pair of Tannoy Devon when I was in high school. :)
tcpip

tannoy is tanntalum alloy , really ? ? what connection woth driver from tannoy?

Give them a break -- Tannoy is an OLD company, established in 1926. The founder, Guy R. Fountain, trademarked that very alloy and started the company at that time.

And this is also an ancient thread, but unfortunately not a lot has changed in 20 years with regards to Tannoy’s market penetration in North America. It’s still hard to find places to demo. It’s still hard to get legitimate information and spare parts out of Tannoy or their parent company (Behringer / Music Tribe). Though to be fair, I had a good experience with Music Tribe support a couple years ago.

NA distribution has been taken over by Upscale Audio in California (you can demo Tannoys at their shop), which has been a significant improvement. IMO Kevin’s done a good job pimping the brand and getting word out about how great Tannoys sound. However, we still don’t really know WHAT is going on for the manufacturing side of things. I think most of us have resigned to the fact that all current Tannoys are essentially Chinese production, despite hand-waving around "maybe" a new factory in Scotland, or that stupid rumor of a toy/furniture factory in Poland (purportedly for building Prestige and Legacy series cabinets in the EU).

You’ll also hear a lot about Fyne audio, which is the new speaker company comprised or former Tannoy employees. They also focus on an (updated) dual concentric design. Their premiums lines really are made in Scotland, and (hopefully) maybe they’re more transparent and easy to deal with than the old Tannoy? That said, I'm a die-hard Tannoy aficionado and see no need to jump into Fyne from my 4 beloved Tannoy sets (with spare drivers).

I love this comment about Tannoys and if you have a musical soul it sums up the listening experience perfectly.They must be on a wide baffle though or they do not have the magic.This is for Yorkminsters.

"I just bought these speakers one year ago my stereo system is: mcintosh 2275 + Tw acustics Raven One with dyna vector mk II+ Cd marantz 15 SA + phone stage Vk -p10 and in my living room the music is so real....i just say this is heaven....my body melt on the sofa....unreal.....just outstanding : )"