TACT RCS 2.0 Users Group

I've recently purchased the TACT RCS 2.0 unit. As I've been wrestling with getting the optimum performance out of it, I keep thinking there must be other owners out there that have ideas to share, as well as those who could benefit from what I've learned.

I was hoping this thread would provide a forum to introduce us to each other.

Anyone interested in sharing what you've learned?

I for one have found the unit difficult to get a true grasp of how to optimise, but once learned, it has produced the best sound of any component I've ever added to my system. My system currently consists of a Sony SCD1 to the TACT 2.0 RCS with internal DAC and D/A converter. Signal is then fed from the TACT in analog format to my Art Audio Jota and then to the Avantgarde Duo Hornspeakers.
I'll start by stating I've found the suggestions in the TACT documentation for speaker placement to be contra to good sound. I've gotten the best results by using George Cardas's Near Field logic and using the TACT Nearfield target curve as the beginning point to custom build my personal target curves.

This resulted in a sound stage this is awesome and the clarity of the frequencies is without compare in my experience.

However, it took over 100 hours of experimentation to reach this result - a lot of lessons learned. At this point, I feel I know just enough to be dangerous!
tao

Showing 2 responses by mikenificent114cb

Hey Pearl,
I would not be stunned about negative comments, you'll see that about any great produc. You have to take the good with the bad I guess. Both are superb products that will only get better: the RCS will hopefully be upgraded to the 6 DSP version soon, and the Millennium will be mkIII this summer. But anyway, I also have the 2.0 (1 year) and the Millennium mkII (over 2 years) and was curious if you did extensive transport comparisons and if so what did you end up with? Also what digital cables and speakers are you using?
The only thing I can think "Audioguy" can possible be referring to is the fact that the window that shows FR and impulse response can be misleading the bass
and treble are off. At least compared to when you import the measurement into the "edit curve" screen. That curve (the imported measurement) looksmore accurate and is different than the FR in the main window. Also the
FR can change a lot even though you re-ran the measurement under the exact same conditions, but when you look at the imported measurements instead, they are
identical as they should be. So for an accurate frequency response look at the imported measurement in the target curve editor.
Other than that it sounds as though Audioguy 123 is more interested in selling higher profit margin Sigtech's and clearly has a grudge against the much more sought after and better selling TacT RCS.; he obviously has some kind of tie to Sigtech either a dealer or MFR with a statement like "..SigTech installs I am familiar with (hundred of them) ". Nobody can just so happen to have been
around that many installs of unit with out being affiliated somehow to the company. A dead give away!

Mike