Tact Pre Amps

Thinking of purchasing one of these. The 2.0S or 2.2XP. Cost is a factor. Can anyone weigh in as to whether it's worth the investment?

Thanks!
128x128rpl77
I've had a fully loaded RCS 2.0 for over six years. It really cleans up a lot of room problems. There are nine presets so I can create nine different corrections (though I really use only one). The difference between hearing your room with all the anomalies and hearing your room once it is corrected is shocking. It is a great tool. TacT put a lot of capability into the RCS but frankly, I'm not using it to it's fullest. You need to use the unit with a computer and really tweak my room using the TacT becomes to demanding for my computer-limited brain. I would suggest you get one and demo it for two weeks. Once you understand the set-up you can do a room correction in two minutes. That part is not difficult. I guarantee you WILL hear a difference. Whether you like it or not is why you must do a demo. Note: there is no tape loop so you must connect a recording device to a line level output that is controlled by the main volume. Any adjustment to the speakers means you adjust the level of your recording.

The Tact is not a easy to use gear if you want to get a good result... you will need to spend a lot of time to find the best settings.
Also the analog I/O are definitely bad, forget them if you want to get a good treble.
I think the 2.2X is better as there's a way to correct the signal only below 350Hz, you can't do that with the 2.0S and from my experience correction higher than 350Hz are not interesting... a few Echobusters panels are way better.
The Tact's A/D and D/A board get a LOT better after Aberdeen Components modifies them. My XP has all the mods Aberdeen offers, including power supply, motherboard, A/D boards, and D/A boards. They put the XP in a totally different class vs. stock. To note, with the XP you dont have to use a computer - everyhting is done inside the unit - although you can use a computer, and you will want eventually if you want to fine tune your settings.....
The XP is a far superior piece, and I've owned the 2.0s, 2.2X, and XP. All processing is done in real time instead of waiting eons for a laptop to do it. And, TacT is actively involved in R&D and improving the functionality.
My 2.0S was totally modified with external wordclock, top quality diodes and rectifiers, blackgate NX etc...
The A/D and D/A boards sounded much better after the modifications but still not very good.