Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
If a mere fuse makes a huge difference in sound then that should tell you the condition of your equipment is piss poor.

The power supply is supposed to be designed to entirely isolate the interference of slight differences in power input from the audio signal. If a mere fuse makes a difference then pretty much anything will make your setup sound different. A system that can't handle such minute differences will never sound the same from minute to minute, day to day. Power is varying ALL the time - a fact of life given that stuff in your house and street go on and off all day long.

I would immediately get rid of any equipment that was so unstable and inaccurate that minute differences in power input have large effects on what I hear.

Surely it is self evident that we are trying to listen to the source music with the least interference or coloration from extraneous factors and it makes sense to buy equipment that achieves this. 
Shadorne wrote,

"The power supply is supposed to be designed to entirely isolate the interference of slight differences in power input from the audio signal. If a mere fuse makes a difference then pretty much anything will make your setup sound different. A system that can’t handle such minute differences will never sound the same from minute to minute, day to day. Power is varying ALL the time - a fact of life given that stuff in your house and street go on and off all day long."

Whoa! What?! Hey, that’s the best Strawman argument I’ve seen all month. No one ever said aftermarket fuses sound better than stock fuses because they better handle varying differences in power input. Where did you ever come up with that? I hate to judge before all the facts are in but this is probably just a case of over-thinking. ALL fuses exhibit slight variation in power one direction to the other. They're ALL directional. Besides how would you explain that aftermarket fuses work in high end electronics as well as Mid Fi electronics? Surely high end power supplies are designed properly, no?

shadorne   3/13/17

"  If a mere fuse makes a huge difference in sound then that should tell you the condition of your equipment is piss poor. 

The power supply is supposed to be designed to entirely isolate the interference of slight differences in power input from the audio signal. If a mere fuse makes a difference then pretty much anything will make your setup sound different. A system that can't handle such minute differences will never sound the same from minute to minute, day to day. Power is varying ALL the time - a fact of life given that stuff in your house and street go on and off all day long.

I would immediately get rid of any equipment that was so unstable and inaccurate that minute differences in power input have large effects on what I hear.

Surely it is self evident that we are trying to listen to the source music with the least interference or coloration from extraneous factors and it makes sense to buy equipment that achieves this"

THIS IS THE MOST UNINFORMED POST I HAVE SEEN ON AUDIOGON.  THIS IS ILLITERACY IN ITS MOST RAMPANT FORM. 
It is very disturbing to observe that is guy has made more than 5000 posts on Audiogon. VERY SAD.
Shadrone sez:

"If a mere fuse makes a huge difference in sound then that should tell you the condition of your equipment is piss poor."

What??!! Are you kidding? Yes, you must be. The higher the resolution afforded by the electronics to begin with, the more the improvement made by the upgraded fuses will be evident. Just the opposite of your claim. 

Frank
in the spirit of this thread, I thought I should warn people to NOT mark directionality on their fuses. The ink or sticker could confuse the electrons, drawing them off-center. The same is true of handling fuses with your bare fingers -- deposited oils from the skin could cause the same problems!