Supper's Ready

Okay. Here we go. Just finished a head to head comparison of Supper's Ready from the original Gabriel vinyl version on Foxtrot vs Collin's vinyl version on Seconds Out. First, both are amazing. Collin's version wins the live performance aspect obviously. Gabriel's version just has that raw, young person's angst to it. It really can't be redone. I tried to make the Collin's version compare and it just ain't there. Granted, if you never heard the Gabriel version you would think the Collin's version was the cat's pajamas. My 2 inane cents. 

ricmci

Showing 2 responses by paulg1966

When it comes to Genesis I’m a fan of the Peter Gabriel period exclusively. Suppers Ready off of Foxtrot has no comparison for me. Peter Gabriel was just as essential to this classic storytelling symphonic progressive rock bands sound as Tony Banks, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins. A classic example of a band needing each and every member to fire on all cylinders. A modern progressive rock band who have similar qualities is Big Big Train. Their album English Electric Part 1 in particular is an excellent release and also has that Old English storytelling flavor. The lead singer David Langdon can sound very much like Peter Gabriel without being a copycat. He tragically died of a car accident recently. The Watch is a good example of a band playing more directly in the retro-Prog Neo Prog style. I.Q. sounds nothing like Genesis to me yet are an excellent band. Their releases from Ever through The Road to Bones are all excellent. The symphonic Prog band Anglagard was mentioned. They are one of my favorite modern Prog bands of the symphonic subgenre. Another good band who has a bandmember from Anglagard is All Traps on Earth. My favorite Genesis album is Selling England by the Pound. All five classic lineup Genesis releases are 5 star releases to me.  I am also a Steve Hackett solo career fan. Excellent musician. I do not like Genesis after The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. To me the magic left after Peter Gabriel left. I like Phil Collins as a drummer and what a drummer until he started singing lead. Just my humble opinion. Steve Wilson was mentioned. The Raven that Refused to Sing is an excellent modern day heavyish Eclectic Prog release. He is also one of the most sought after studio recording masters. The Tull remasters are a good example.

@larsman Hello. So you like progressive rock too. Van der graaf generator are one of my favorites. H to He Who Am The Only One and Pawn Hearts are very good albums. Genesis used to tour with Van der Graaf in the early 70’s. Would’ve been quit an experience to see them tour together. You mentioned Porcupine Tree. I have their catalog on cd so yes I’m a fan. The releases In Absentia and Anesthetize are very good releases. My favorite is the Sky Moves Sideways. Alex Lifeson of Rush and Adrian Below of King Crimson both guest on Tree albums. He also collaborated with Opeth singer and guitarist among others. Am looking forward to the new PT album Continuum. Also a King Crimson fan of old. One of the first bands I bought on vinyl as a youth. Of course In the Court of the Crimson King. You may like a band from Poland called Riverside. Another good band is Anekdoten. There’s a lot of good Prog from the 90’s through today that people from the classic era would like. There’s even a few from the bone dry 80’s. I grew up with the classics and then found a whole new group of different modern Prog groups through the internet when it first went online. I’ll have to check out the band Strange Days. They are listed on the website Prog Archives. Thanks for the recommendation.