Supex 901 MKIV.... ??

Hi, I just recieved this Cart. as a 'gift' from my father!!!! He sent a technics EPC 100 too!!! But it is dead, both channels have no signal, and the suspension is shot. The Supex sounds GREAT I swapped it out with my Denon 103r, without really dialing in the tracking weight, I tried both the hi and low settings on the cinemag SUT, I prefer the hi setting by a hair.
Wondering what the proper tracking weight is for this cart, and what they sell for right now?
hxt1

Showing 2 responses by stanwal

I use to sell them, I think I used 2.2 to 2.5. In any case that should be about right. They were good cartridges and if I knew they were going to stop making them I would have stockpiled quite a few. Price on something like this depends on the condition of the individual cartridge and is hard to give; anywhere from $200 to $450 ; possibly sometimes higher.
I have HIFI Choice no. 43 from 1985 which tested the 901 MK 4 and found it had a compliance of 14; they used a tracking weight of 2 grams. It was the earlier 901S which had a compliance of 12 which tracked at between 2 and 2.5. Their test used 2.2. I haven't tracked a cartridge under 2 grams in over 20 years myself.