Sumiko F4 with 103R sounds flat???

I have a Sota Sapphire turn table, with Sumiko F4 arm. I am really disappointed. It doesn't come near my CD sound stage.
I am new to audiophile. Try to keep it basic, but what might be wrong?
route30

Showing 10 responses by route30

I have a Cinemag transformer. I can't get sound even close to the quality of my CD? Advise/help. Someone recommended a FRT3
Thank you Raul. You are probably correct. I am new to this, and didn't want to become an audiophile nut. I sell vintage Porsches, and know how deeply you can get involved. That is NOT what I want for my sound system. I just want to enjoy it. I love the Vintage components, and they are affordable. I have a McIntosh 6500, Meridian 608.24, Infinity RS ll. I bought the Sota Sapphire, and thought the 103R was the right cartridge improvement. I guess I have created new issues I wasn't aware of. What is the Cartridge you advise? Previous owner loved the 103 MM. I really appreciate your input, as its getting discouraging. I want to get through this asap.
I think its my phono stage. Going to try another next week.
Using a McIntosh MA6500, Meridian 608.24 CD, Infinity RS II.
Its got to be the transformer, I hope. I will report back when I try another unit. Thanks for the input.
I just bought a Bobs Device Cinemag SUT on E Bay. it has great feedback, with 103R. Over all a huge improvement from where I was, but the CD still has brighter, crisper top end. Going from one to the other leaves the TT sounding a bit dull compared to the CD. Still lost, and getting tired of throwing money at this thing. I have 10 - 15 hours on the 103R. Looking for experience to give some "sound" advise.
Very pleased with Bob's Devices, SUT that I bought on E Bay. Big improvement from what I had. I am confident the impedance match is excellent. With the new SUT, a bit more down force on cart., and leveling, it is much improved. However I am still not blown away with Sota, Denon 103R combination. I was hoping I would never want to hear CD again, but that isn't the case. I am burnt out on spending & frustration. This will all have to due for now, but I know there is more to experience. I will re attack the issue down the road. Thanks for input. Buy Bobs SUT with confidence.
Amazingly, the biggest improvement, since Bobs SUT, was to reverse the cartridge wires, opposite from what Denon instructions show. Don't ask me why, I am not an audiophile, but someone suggested it, and it worked! 20% increase in sound quality. Finally satisfied with TT & 103R