Subwoofer Suggestions

About 5 years ago, I put together a system for my college-bound son.  Started with gifting him my restored Pioneer SX-950 (85wpc) receiver, then purchased B&W 607 bookshelfs and a Rega 1 turntable. Nice little system.

He's been in between job assignments recently, so all his gear is now set up in my listening room.  The 607s sound great, but i think they could use the help of a sub.  In all my years with this hobby i have never used one....so i need some suggestions, especially where/if they are compatible with a vintage receiver, what wattage is appropriate, etc.  Any specific brand/model suggestions will be appreciated. Max budget is $600. 

Thanks!

nicholsr
Post removed 

nothing wrong with SVS. I don't think the entry level models are the best value or at least they did not work for me.

Would the B&W 608 be a good option? Fits in my price range.

It’s a powered sub…don’t know if that causes any compatibility issues with a vintage receiver.  I’m way out in left field with this particular thing.

I just looked up that Receiever. You need a sub that will accept speaker cable from the amp or make one with rcas and I think a resistor. Powered subs didn’t exist back then. Rel does that not sure who else.