Subwoofer options for Magnepan with crossover betwen pre and amp?

I'd like to offload the bass below 50hz to a subwoofer through a crossover placed between pre amp and amp; believe this will (a) help with stabilizing the Prima Luna amp by eliminating low bass clipping (b) remedy the lack of weight in the low bass with Magnepan 1.7's. Has anyone found a combination they liked for around $2k? I've seen Vandersteen 2WQ's mentioned, I suppose separate amp/crossover TBD with Magnepan DWM panels are another path. My main concern is a clean merge of the subwoofer with the SQ of the Magnepans
128x128davide256

Showing 1 response by michel1980

Old.but still , just.bulld two open baffle woofer columns. Crossover, a xls2502 more than enough power , to keep them under control good crossover. That's what I am going to do .. 

I have 4 subs running with my magnepan Tympani I. Sounds really good, but I think making a equal line source woofer column at 6ft,, open baffle with minimal baffle diffractions.

4x12 inch or multiple 8 inch, line source fast as it's open baffle. No cabinet coloration, enough displacement (controls are endless that way too) 

Crown xls drivecore series has build in crossovers. I used a xls2502 to keep my jbl 18 inch subs under control. 2500w 4 ohm in bridged mono that amp. 

I don't know if any of you ever thought of doing something like this? It seems like a great idea to me to try,and I will I know myself 😋