subwoofer for Quad 988 electrostatics

I am the owner of the Quad 988's along with Thor TPA 60
watt monblocks with a Thor Preamp. The rest consists of a
Cary CD Player and a VPI turntable. I have previously started a thread with regard to the best speaker around $15,000 per pair. It was suggested that I consider a subwoofer instead. Well, after careful reading it was suggested that I try the Audio Physic Minos subwoofer, which
in Issue 137/138 was reviewed very favorably in the Absolute
Sound. In fact, Paul Seydor owns the 988 and said the sub
blended seamlessly. The other choices are: 1. Vandersteen
2. Definitive Technology Reference Cube, 3. Martin Logan Descent 4. Alon Thunderbolts I am looking for a front firing subwoofer like the Minos as a downfiring sub will
really vibrate my tile floors. Has any fellow audiophiles heard the Minos, or heard it with the Quads?, or has anybody heard the Quad 988's with any sub that blends well
witht he 988's. Thank you in advance for any light that you can shed on the above.
kjl

Showing 1 response by blptwp

The Quad 988 has adaquate bass if the right amp is used with them. I am not familiar with the amps you have. So, I can't comment if it is right for the 988. Adding a subwoofer to the 988 is like mixing a bottle of fine wine with a bottle of coke, just because you think the wine doesn't taste sweet. The quad speaker is one of the very best speaker ever made. They are full of details and information and have very adequate natural and accurate bass, provided you have the right amplifier for them. When I said the bass is natural and accurate because there is no box to create the kind of bass you think that is "there". I go to live classical concert all the time. What I hear in a well performed piece of music is not "extended in both ends" like so many of us look for in music playback. I didn't hear any over emphasis of bass and treble. When the brass or violins played, I don't hear any ear-piercing highs or when the 10 double bass come in, I don't hear the any earth moving low-end extension. What I hear is music in unison and in harmony. The quad speakers are one of the most natural and real music reproduction speakers ever made. So many of us audiophiles nowadays chase after something that we think is real music, but instead we are really hearing something that is very un-natural and fake. So, don't ruin the very fine bottle of wine you have. I hope I didn't sound like I am preaching. Hope this helps a little.