Subtlety ? do any American amps do it?

Not heard that many but it strikes me that everything from the colonies sounds a bit stark and bleached. Spent a year trying to come to terms with a Pass Labs which is vastly overated ( and I mean vastly), listened a lot
to Mark Levinson and thought Thank God I did not spend a fortune on that - clean, clear, hifi and so bereft of soul that it was like a visit to the Dentist !
I'm not that biased, it's taken Naim years to make something resembling music - PRAT ? until recently bunch of narrow minded PRATS.I know lots of Naim fans and their mindset belongs to the third reich !
UK companies like Meridian and Musical Fidelity have managed to do the bizz for at least 30 years that I've known/used and they still manage to make a noise that at least resembles real music. MF get tarred with a do it cheap brush but anyone who has heard their gear and says it's crap is probably a dealer who wants to sell you something at 3/4x the price.
The Brazilians do it a treat - Heard Audiopax 88s at the last Edinburgh show and if anyone there had ears, they should have packed up and went home - different league does not describe it.
Realise this is antagonistic but want some input.
Even the UK press seems blinkered to the crap - Pass, Krell
- whoah, nice hifi, shame there's nothing remotely musical involved, apart from the laughter as they take our hard earned money !

I have a Quicksilver phonostage - lovely and a great customer focused company, had a Lancelot Camelot, super and amazingly friendly & helpful people but go to the Big boys and it's just a money grabbing frenzy ?
I dreamed of a Pass Labs for years and ? my next amp will be coming from somewhere in Europe !

Si
simon74
Lush, Just a little off subject but, Canada has a wealth of good speaker makers at an excellent value which would compare nicely with all the UK lot. Guess it sucks to be us huh. Not to mention all our TT's?!
Yes R_F_sayles, alot of this has to do with the weaker canadian $$$ value. Don't get me wrong companies like Reference 3A, Energy, Revel, Paradigm, Mirage are all excellent speakers and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Again, we have a benefit of living in Canada though. Much like if I wanted to buy English gear in Canada, I pay a pretty penny because of the exchange rate. I can see why people in the UK question the value of amps from SimAudio, Classe', Bryston. I would too, at the prices they pay in comparison to home made stuff. The UK does seem to have a great selection in sources, Canada as well mind you with EMM Labs, older Museatex upgraded stuff by John Wright.

I just think the physical size and space of listening areas play a huge part in design. The differences in exchange rates play a large role in value. Theres my $0.02 or $0.017 in the US and $0.0096UK.
I agree with Travis. The Audio Mirror PP1 is, in my opinion, an OUTSTANDING preamp. It is absolutely, hands down, the best as well as most cost effective preamp I have ever owned!!! For $799.00 it's a bargain. It's strong point is the all tube phono stage with plenty of gain for medium output moving coils. I use a Koetsu Red(.6 mv). I have spoken with Vlad many times on the phone. He's a stand up guy and a man of his word. If you have any problems, he takes care of it, no questions asked. I cannot give enough praise to the PP1 and Vlad. Exceptional product and price as well as great customer service to boot. Jeff
Surprised this is still running !
My Audio Mirror is nice but came with teething troubles that, had I not known someone clever with valve amps would have cost me money. Lovely design (based on G Nardi design for Audio Note) but not very well executed.
Still very good value for money.
I instigated this cause I had a years worth of problems with a Pass direct from Pass - it was sorted by an engineer they recommended and I never got a bill, so do I assume they(Pass) paid the bill.
It's a lovely amp and I enjoy it but a years a long time to argue the toss with a company.
People say buy new from a dealer and your covered - problem is if I had to pay new prices for all my stuff it would be worth more than the house.
The Supratek has been a joy from day one, there are lots of amps I would love to try but I have to buy, ship, pay duty.
I have no doubt I would die and go to heaven listening to CJ,Wavelength, Manley etc, etc.
Must be a joy to live in a country where there are enough consumers to allow this amount of manufacturers to survive and prosper.
I love the fact that most american companies delight in providing information and talking about their products.
'Some' uk companies can't even answer a mail, the phone or lawyers letters - arrogant pricks.
I've no more to say, if not for my friends in the states, I'd still be trying to upgrade, it was a rash post brought on by a years frustration over my most expensive ever purchase.
I really didn't mean to antagonise fellow 'nutters', only prick the skin of manufacturers who treat their customers like idiots
Si
My system has some limitations that may disqualify my answer, but I would audition the Odyssey Audio amps. I have owned the HT3 (with cap upgrade) since June of '05, and IMHO, it offers a taste of what the mega-buck amps I've heard offer at a fraction of the price. Since Odyssey offers better amps than my HT3, perhaps you would consider auditioning them. JMHO.