Streamer MQA Question

I was wondering if in order to stream TIDAL (which I have a sub to) do both the Streamer AND the DAC need to be MQA compatible/capable?

reg887t

I was wondering if in order to stream TIDAL (which I have a sub to) do both the Streamer AND the DAC need to be MQA compatible/capable?

Just to answer the original question. No - you don’t need to use MQA through tidal you can happily stream music at lower resolution, which is still better than CD. 

The SMSL-9 streamer fully unfolds MQA, and I’m using it to do the MQA unfolding to feed a Musician Pegasus DAC. This streamer is a major steal and should be on your list to consider. Here is a quote from SMSL.

Full MQA Support:-

S.M.S.L SD-9 brings you the support for high-tech MQA files. MQA is the latest technology where high-resolution data is folded into the empty bitrate spaces on the files. This technology enables the writing of high-resolution files while keeping the file size small, suitable for streaming and storing locally. Only MQA certified devices are capable of unfolding these files and bringing the true output to their users. SD-9 is one of these devices, it fully unfolds the MQA recordings and brings a truly immersive experience for its users.