Stream vs digital download

Has anyone compared a stream to a purchased download? Lets say a purchased 24/96 flac recording from somewhere like acoustic sounds compared to the same exact 24/96 stream from Qobuz? I am really enjoying my Innuos Zen mkIII. I am finding that I like my ripped CD better than the same album streamed on Qobuz. I purchased a couple DSD's that phenomenal like Norah Jones, Elton John Madman across the water is exceptional. But I was wonder for some newer albums that I really like but don't own the CD, is it maybe better to just buy the digital download. I mean its only $18 for a flac so not much to lose, but I was curious what others thought. Maybe its just having the music playing from a local hard drive in the Innuos that makes it sound better than streaming. Just curious what others have found as I am still new to streaming.
128x128jmphotography

Showing 1 response by noble100

I think bgoeller's post was very good and, overall, it matches my experiences, especially his ranking of quality levels and stressing the importance of provenance in downloads.  
      I haven't downloaded any DSD files yet, only 24/96 files, but I perceive significant sound quality improvements with downloads that have the provenance of being recorded/mixed direct to digital, mainly in increased levels of details, much greater and more realistic dynamic ranges and stereo soundstage imaging three-dimensionality and realism.  This makes sense since these are literally exact copies of the master recordings.
      I use a Lumin D2 dac/streamer, a separate Synology hard drive and an iPad as an interface, mainly for convenience but also because the sound quality is very good.  I currently have all my cds ripped to the hard drive, along with numerous hi-res 24/96 files, and hardly use my cd player any more.  I use Tidal to stream through my main system and Spotify to stream through a laptop/dac/iheadphone amp system. 
     For overall sq, I'd definitely rate 24/96 downloads as the best, ripped cds next and streaming as the poorest quality.  My opinion of just streaming sq, however, is that Tidal is better than Spotify.

Tim