Stranded vs singal core conductors and skin effect

Yea, Yea, I did a search. I did find similar topics, but I still don't know which solution is preferable. Many mega-buck cables utilize solid core. Is solid core a better solution (conductor, etc.)? Isn't it the geometry (twisting, braiding, etc.) that addresses the skin effect issues? Are there other scientific reasons for utilizing stranded wire vs singal core? I am really considering making some DIY speaker cables. If for no other reason, than just for kicks - sounds kind of fun. I have read up on so many different theories. I realize that inductance and resistance are extremely important factors, as well as capitance, and for whatever reason, it must be a challange to design a cable with extreamly low measurments in all three categories?? I don't really fully understand why. HOLD ON - I don't want a complete lesson here. I'm just seeking some input from the engineering-minded or the knowledgeable DIY community as to which type of wire offers the best conductivity (and other factors??) for designing a DIY speaker cable. Additionally, which geometry is the preferred method?
2chnlben

Showing 1 response by carl109

"But, different salts (or, spices) do taste different in the same way that different cables sound different."

Bob's right I'm afraid; salt is salt. It's a sodium chloride crystal and if pure will taste the same regardless of what brand it is. However, they can taste different due to additives or impurities. Sea salt can contain other minerals which alter the flavor.

Using that analogy, cables can sound different when made from different metals (eg copper, silver, blends etc), but comparing one 99.99% OFC copper cable to another is unlikely to yield much difference, provided the AWG suits the length of cable run.

And I'm not an engineer!