Straight up comparison REL T7 subwoofer vs Sunfire SDS 12 woofer. Preferences or opinions?

I already own the Sunfire. I've got a solid bargain on the REL T7 and have verified it works fine.

The other gear is a B&K Pro-10 Sonata preamp, a matching B&K ST 202+  Sonata amplifier, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-ray player for source material and Monitor Audio Silver RX8 speakers. Room is 20x20x13. Is swapping my Sunfire out for the REL really going to make that much difference?

Thanks!

j

stereoisomer

oldheavymec

What is decoupling in your mind? Thanks

And what is a butt plate?

I have a Sunfire sds8 and a Rel T7x. I don’t think you’ll see too much of an improvement. IMO the better quality Rel’s start at the S series (or previous R series).  My T7x still breaking in but notice quite a difference between it and the R328, S5, and S5SHO’s that I have. I’d just stick with the Sunfire (I’ve always been impressed with my little sds8)

Thank you for your thoughtful and intelligent reply. This is exactly what I was looking for.

If the driver fires downward against an attached bottom, that bottom is a butt plate.
A better idea is measure the slot height and width, just like REL does and attach a 3/4-2" bottom that distance from the bottom of the sub cabinet. "Slot load" the passive radiator. It can be open front, back, or side, but not DOWN.

THEN you decouple the butt plate or slot from the floor with Springs, Pods, or Air ride. But you NEVER EVER couple anything to a domicile structure.

Think of the Bay Bridge, How much steal would it take to span the bay with just steel, from terminal to terminal all the way across the bay, how THICK would it have to be?

Now think of the springs (cables) they used to suspend the road structure? Remember what part of the bridge that failed during the earthquake? The ridged top deck failed and FELL on the suspended structure below it. SPRINGS? You cannot make some things strong enough on a planet that vibrates. The bolts sheered, they broke bolts in half that were as big as my arm. The springs held..

BUT I suppose you can keep trying.

To heavy of a spring and not enough mass "Galloping Gertie"

Regards

http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/subwoofers.htm

You see that slot on the bottom of that column. There is a 15" high excursion passive radiator in there. You adjust the columns Q with putty pinching a fingernail at a time. Very accurate way to mechanically tune to your room, your amp, your cables, your ears.. To bad the company shut down in 2012. The Ideas didn’t

He was getting away from selling that type of open slot (RELs too) on all his subs..

He use front firing slot loaded with a bottom plate on all his floor standing speakers from the 70s on..

Regards