Still looking for speakers in the 10-20,000 range

I’ve heard Proacs, Personas 3 and 5, Ryans, Wilsons, Wilson Benesch, Monitor Audios, B and Ws and several others in the 10-$20,000 range.  My favorite so far is the KEF Reference 3.  I would consider the Reference 5 but, as I’ve posted before, there is no place to hear them within 400 miles. Still plan to hear the Focal 2 and 3. Unless I love the Focals, I'm inclined to either go with the KEF Reference 3 or wait a couple of months (or more) to check out the new Magico A3.  My room is 24x18.  I have Audio Research electronics and 20 plus year old Proac Response 3.5 speakers.  It’s been a long process and I’m not sure if I’ll be relieved or disappointed when it ends.  Hard to decide if the Magico’s are worth waiting for.  Thoughts?
fast

Showing 4 responses by fast

Thanks.  I listen mostly to classical music-orchestral, solo instrument, chamber and vocal music.  Sound level is moderate, similar to a classical concert.  I prefer noticeable but balanced bass. The speakers will be a maximum of 32” from the rear wall due to WAF.  In other words I am not listening to ear splitting, floor shaking rock music.  What I like about the KEF Reference 3 speakers so far is the imaging and soundstage.  The sound appears to come from behind the speakers and is spread out over a very wide area where appropriate.  The bass is also pretty good as are the treble and midrange.  
Thanks everyone.  Like many of you, I have to consider the WAF. That’s a problem with the German Physiks.  The only Vandersteen dealer within several hundred miles only stocks the Treo CT and below-the speakers which don’t have a powered subwoofer (thid would be an issue anyway because we have no power source near the speaker location). Would the Treo CT compete with the KEF Reference 3 and the other speakers I’m considering?   Still would love to hear the KEF Reference 5 but, as I’ve said before, those also aren’t available for audition within several hundred miles.  I’m tempted to pull the trigger on the KEF Reference 3 since they have become the standard I compare everything else to-and so far have come out on top for me. 
Again, I appreciate all the helpful suggestions.  In response to some comments/questions:
-I heard the Focal Sopra 3s and liked their full bodied sound and am still considering them- but also hoping to hear the KEF Reference 5 in the same price range, which is not available anywhere near me. 
-Someone asked why I specified a price range in my initial post.  I agree that price and sound quality aren’t necessarily related.  But speakers can sell for $100 up to $100,000 or more. In general, I think it’s safe to say that a $100 speaker won’t compare to the $100,000 one.  OK-that’s an extreme example but in general I think a $20,000 speaker will out perform a $5000 one. Of course, there are always exceptions.  Also, with literally hundreds of speakers on the market I think it helps to narrow down the parameters.  Whether you’re seeking advice on this board or visiting a dealer, you can’t consider everything available so size, sound characteristics, price and other things help to limit the many possibilities. 
-Several people have suggested speakers from small companies which are not widely distributed and not available for audition in my area (I’ve checked on every one of the suggested models). Even some speakers from larger companies-the KEF Reference 5, the higher end Vandersteens and Revels-aren’t stocked by anyone in my area.   Manufacturers can be strangely unhelpful. I’ve called Revel three times and sent them two emails with no response. Obviously, I’m not going to consider a speaker I can’t hear.   By the way, I’m not in a small town but in a major metropolitan area. It seems like most manufacturers require dealers to purchase their products before the dealer can stock them.  It’s way out of my knowledge but I don’t understand why manufacturers don’t loan more expensive products to dealers in order to promote sales, knowing that products which aren’t stocked won’t sell very much. Dealers around me just won’t invest in $10,000 plus speakers since there seems to be a limited market for them. 
-Bottom line-I’m still looking and listening.  It would be nice to hear the Revels, Vandersteens  and KEF 5 but I’m not prepared to get on an airplane.  I have a short list but still remain open to suggestions. 
Thanks everyone.  OtherGreg, some questions specifically for you:
-Did you love the KEF Reference 5?speakers right out of the box or was there a break in period?  If so, how long did it take?
-which ports are you using (I know it’s location dependent)?
-how far apart are your speakers and how far from back and side walls?

Why the questions? I took a chance on the 5s and am still trying to fall in love with them.  It’s only been a couple of weeks.  I’m using an Audio Research amp and Pre amp—both tubes.  The sound so far seems “digital” for lack of a better word-not as full bodied and natural as I hoped for.  Also I’m not hearing the same soundstage as when I auditioned the speakers.  The treble can be harsh at times.   I’ve been moving them forwards, backwards and sideways and experimenting with toe in.  So far I haven’t found the magic. Obviously my room and equipment are different but I’m searching for solutions and appreciate any help.